Spoon feed first all grain...(spoon not included)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazzelle

Reaction score
I want to try my first all grain bitter on the smallest budget ever, and now i'm chasing my tail
I want to small batch brew 10 pints.
small&large muslin bags
Bought pan (8 litre)
bought crushed pale malt 3kg
bought crushed crystal malt 500g,
100g fuggles
100g of East Kent Goldings
30g of irish moss
liberty bell yeast m36

I am really struggling to get my head round scaling the various recipes down to 10 pints.

anyone got a spare spoon to feed me where i should be looking please. or if you have a 10 pint recipe to follow that would be the danglers of the canine

Many Thanks

6 litre batch full volume no sparge, 60m mash, 30 m boil.
1300g Pale malt
25g Crystal
9 litres of mash water to mash at 66C
30m boil add hops as follows
15g Fuggles @30m
10g EKG @10m
3g Irish moss @10m
M36 yeast @20C
Expect an ABV of 5%.

Ten pints is a quarter of the usual 40 pints so just divide all quantities by 4. For 23 litre recipes.

23 litres = 40 pints

Ten pints is a quarter of the usual 40 pints so just divide all quantities by 4. For 23 litre recipes.

23 litres = 40 pints
Thanks,

I was unsure how or if it affected timings and such like for instance do you boil a quarter of the hops for a quarter of the time and so on and so forth, common sense says not but best to confirm i thought

Thanks,

I was unsure how or if it affected timings and such like for instance do you boil a quarter of the hops for a quarter of the time and so on and so forth, common sense says not but best to confirm i thought
Timings are the same.

I put that into Brewfather BIAB no sparge setting and 10 pints (5.7L) requires 8.4L total starting water.
So your pan will be too small, also need to allow for displacement from grain.
You'll need to either sparge, brew strong and liquor back or get a bigger pan.

Back