St Peters Stout kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniboy0812

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Firstly I’d like to wish everyone a Merry Xmas and thank everyone for their help answering my questions this year.

I currently have a St Peters stout kit in the FV since last Sunday 11th Dec 2018, the SG this morning (15th Dec) was at 1018 but should be 1014 so I gave it a good ol beating to get the yeast working again. So hopefully some nice stout in the next few weeks.

I’m considering bottling straight to 500ml brown glass swing tops - £5.99 per 12 pack in B&M bargains.

My question is do I add carbonation/sugar drops to each of the 500ml bottles or should I rack into another FV and stir in 100g of melted sugar/ water solution (half pint or so) or should I leave in a King Keg for secondary fermentation then bottle?

Any help would be great

Regards
Joel

When you beer is ready to bottle (steady SG where you would expect it, beer clearing etc) you have several options, the main ones being
1. Straight from the FV into bottles. Add priming sugar or drops.
2. Rack off into bottling bucket into which you have previously added concentrated priming sugar solution.
Some people add a sugar solution to the FV, leave it for a short while to mix in, then directly bottle after that.
It's personal choice really, there is no right or wrong way.
There is no problem racking off to a second vessel to allow the beer to clear and then bottling/priming a while after , but what you shouldn't be doing is racking of to a second vessel, priming then leaving it a long time before bottling, since the CO2 created in the secondary fermentation will be lost to the carbonation process.
I use method 1 with table sugar, although on some beers I will rack off beforehand for clearing. And carbonation drops are a waste of money in my opinion.

When you beer is ready to bottle (steady SG where you would expect it, beer clearing etc) you have several options, the main ones being
1. Straight from the FV into bottles. Add priming sugar or drops.
2. Rack off into bottling bucket into which you have previously added concentrated priming sugar solution.
Some people add a sugar solution to the FV, leave it for a short while to mix in, then directly bottle after that.
It's personal choice really, there is no right or wrong way.
There is no problem racking off to a second vessel to allow the beer to clear and then bottling/priming a while after , but what you shouldn't be doing is racking of to a second vessel, priming then leaving it a long time before bottling, since the CO2 created in the secondary fermentation will be lost to the carbonation process.
I use method 1 with table sugar, although on some beers I will rack off beforehand for clearing. And carbonation drops are a waste of money in my opinion.

Yes I will be using brewing sugar from Wilko. Good to get a view how others do it. I’m not new to brewing but have only done kits with beer and wine but 1st timer on stout kit. Next will be spirits with botanicals - but we can’t talk about that in here.

Must only be me who asks for brewing stuff for Xmas off the wifey lol

Thanks for your reply

Happy Xmas

Latest posts

Back