St Petes cream stout addition???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollieollie

I'm tired all the time
Reaction score
Evening All,
Will be brewing this next, will be my first stout! I notice people add things to the wort, treacle, muscavado sugar etc. Is this a good idea? and what quantity would i use say for the sugar?

Just to clarify i'm not talking for priming here

Cheers

I would brew it short a few litres and if you want it stronger add 500g of dark spray malt.

Im yet to brew one to full size, do them to 20.5ltr, what is the likely strength increase? and does it help with the body/feel of the beer

Cheers for advice

Im yet to brew one to full size, do them to 20.5ltr, what is the likely strength increase? and does it help with the body/feel of the beer

Cheers for advice

500g in 20l should add 0.5% or maybe a bit more. Will improve the body as well. I have tried treacle in stout when i used to do these kits but i just preferred the spray malt and brewing short. Sugar wont add body.

Ollie i just bottled a St Peters Stout today. I gave it two weeks resting after fermentation before bottling and added 300g of lactose a week ago to improve body and head. Today before bottling i stirred in 300g of molasses and primed 500ml bottles with half teaspoon of soft dark Muscovado cane sugar. Adding sugar at fermentation just ups the abv you want flavour not Alcohol. that why people add Treacle , Vanilla, Hazel nut at bottling to make fancy Stouts, or Pre soak Special Malts like Simpsons DRM Malt and add at the start of fermentation.

500g in 20l should add 0.5% or maybe a bit more. Will improve the body as well. I have tried treacle in stout when i used to do these kits but i just preferred the spray malt and brewing short. Sugar wont add body.

So much to learn!! cheers

Ollie i just bottled a St Peters Stout today. I gave it two weeks resting after fermentation before bottling and added 300g of lactose a week ago to improve body and head. Today before bottling i stirred in 300g of molasses and primed 500ml bottles with half teaspoon of soft dark Muscovado cane sugar. Adding sugar at fermentation just ups the abv you want flavour not Alcohol. that why people add Treacle , Vanilla, Hazel nut at bottling to make fancy Stouts, or Pre soak Special Malts like Simpsons DRM Malt and add at the start of fermentation.

So this method is as we talked about on the other thread(12 week), Have i got this right?

2 wk primary
1 wk secondary
1 wk secondary with the addition of lactose
2 wk carbonation with muscovado and added molasses
6 wk+ cold conditioning

Cheers so far guys

Also how sweet does the lactose make the beer?? & does the molasses and muscovado sugar together not over carbonate the beer? i'm presuming the molasses adds to the priming

Cheers

Also how sweet does the lactose make the beer?? & does the molasses and muscovado sugar together not over carbonate the beer? i'm presuming the molasses adds to the priming

Cheers

Ollie the lactose leaves very little sweetness depending on the amount you use, Its more for body, The molasses adds to the carbonation but thats why i only added half level teaspoon instead of full level teaspoon i normally would, if i was doing bitter , lager or IPA i prime with heaped teaspoon , Per 500ml some people use less.

Although i like molasses i didn't enjoy it in beer. It would all be added at start of fermentation, preferably boiled to sterilises it. Lactose adds body and mouthfeel but its not sweet like sugar. Weird stuff really but it works well in stout as wont ferment. I would not bother doing a secondary with a stout either. 1/2 tps sugar per 500ml bottle. A great kit imho.

I think i will add dark spraymalt at the beginning, lactose after fermentation and prime with muscovado. How does that sound?

I think i will add dark spraymalt at the beginning, lactose after fermentation and prime with muscovado. How does that sound?

The lactose and priming is fine, for what the spray malt will add to this kit, i would save it for a mild , brown ale or dark bitter

Does adding stuff change the amount of yeast needed? Slightly nervous about going off piste as it were.. stick to the paths and stay off the moors and all that

Thankyou

Ollie the lactose leaves very little sweetness depending on the amount you use, Its more for body, The molasses adds to the carbonation but thats why i only added half level teaspoon instead of full level teaspoon i normally would, if i was doing bitter , lager or IPA i prime with heaped teaspoon , Per 500ml some people use less.

Morrisons sell 'bilingtons molasses sugar', two birds one stone?

Adding lactose at the end of fermentation just risks an infection. These Stouts usually finish at 1014( at least mine did) so bear in mind if you add lactose you gonna end up with a sweet stout. Muscavado wont make any difference when bottling, most people just use brewing sugar.

Adding lactose at the end of fermentation just risks an infection. These Stouts usually finish at 1014( at least mine did) so bear in mind if you add lactose you gonna end up with a sweet stout. Muscavado wont make any difference when bottling, most people just use brewing sugar.

How are you risking infection there no more risk than any other process you go through when brewing, you dissolve the lactose in a small amount of boiling water then add. 300g of lactose in 5gallon of stout leaves no sweetness even 500g is minimal. Priming wise you can use the fermentable of your choice some people use sugar , brown sugar , even Honey its up to you

How are you risking infection there no more risk than any other process you go through when brewing, you dissolve the lactose in a small amount of boiling water then add. 300g of lactose in 5gallon of stout leaves no sweetness even 500g is minimal. Priming wise you can use the fermentable of your choice some people use sugar , brown sugar , even Honey its up to you

I am paranoid about opening my FV's as i threw another batch away on Friday. May be my house has some hostile bacteria at large.
Can you tell any difference in taste if you prime with honey or brown sugar? I like brewers sugar because its easy to measure on a spoon and does not clog the funnel. I have tried other sugar and spraymalt but got all gunked up by the 10th bottle or so. I don't batch prime as can never find a clean FV when needed.

I am paranoid about opening my FV's as i threw another batch away on Friday. May be my house has some hostile bacteria at large.
Can you tell any difference in taste if you prime with honey or brown sugar? I like brewers sugar because its easy to measure on a spoon and does not clog the funnel. I have tried other sugar and spraymalt but got all gunked up by the 10th bottle or so. I don't batch prime as can never find a clean FV when needed.

Beer cat i dont know, i have primed a woodfords Wherry and a St Peters stout with Molasses Brown sugar and there carbonating now so wont know for another two months. To be honest i have only ever threw away one lot in twenty plus years and that was a cider kit about twenty years ago. I dont worry about infection i just get on with what i have to do. if i am doing a turn around one bucket to another i just pour boiling water down the sides of the bucket and lid then wack another new brew in it. If its turned around so quick it does not have time to get infected, after putting the lid on i dont go in there for two weeks until i transfer into second FV, then the next time its opened is for bottling. If i store FVs i leave an inch of very strong sterilizing solution in the bottom seal the lid and the fumes keep it sterile you can put any brewing kit in there as well, My FVs ever get time to be dirty as there sealed with the fluid or in use. :thumb:

Beer cat i dont know, i have primed a woodfords Wherry and a St Peters stout with Molasses Brown sugar and there carbonating now so wont know for another two months. To be honest i have only ever threw away one lot in twenty plus years and that was a cider kit about twenty years ago. I dont worry about infection i just get on with what i have to do. if i am doing a turn around one bucket to another i just pour boiling water down the sides of the bucket and lid then wack another new brew in it. If its turned around so quick it does not have time to get infected, after putting the lid on i dont go in there for two weeks until i transfer into second FV, then the next time its opened is for bottling. If i store FVs i leave an inch of very strong sterilizing solution in the bottom seal the lid and the fumes keep it sterile you can put any brewing kit in there as well, My FVs ever get time to be dirty as there sealed with the fluid or in use. :thumb:

Respect to you thats a very good record i am somewhat envious of lol. Good tip about boiling water and keeping steriliser in the bottom. Will be doing that in future myself.

Back