Stabilising Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbriant

Reaction score
I'm in the process of sorting out my wine.

I have just racked off the plum wine from the FV to a demijohn and will leave it to settle. This wine was fermented outright and is around 10% and I intend to back-sweeten it just a tiny bit
Quite a lot of gunk has dropped out of suspension so far.

I also have a blackcurrant wine that's been slowly feed sugar while fermenting, and has also nearly fermented dry. Could be around 16%
I will also intend to back-sweeten as well. I'm due to rack this out of the FV soon.

I intend to leave them to settle out for a few weeks then stabilise them

Both brews had pectolase added before fermenting.

Now how to stop fermentation?
I understand people use campden tablets, i assume it's one per demijohn?
The next thing is finnings when do i add them and any special brand i need? Any specific dosage per demijohn?
Do I also need anything else to help condition my wines and clean them up etc?

Back-sweetening will be done via a sugar syrup.
I don't want bottle bombs. Got that award already. Decorated the kitchen ceiling :P

Campden tabs don't stop fermentation, you want wine stopper (potassium sorbate ) for that

To back sweeten (according to my local home brew shop) pop the sugar solution in, wait 12 hrs (for sugar to invert) then stablise. I I'm going to try this on my next brew

You still want campdens too though, 1 per gallon

Finings-wise Kwik Clear has never let me down 😃

good luck!

Kwik clear is 1-2ml per gallon, they recommend 1ml for lighter wines and 2ml for ones with a heavier sediment content, racking and a secondary dose if you have a really heavy and slow clearing wine though for all the WoW based wines I've done so far I've found 1ml is ample. Best place i found for it was Ebay if you can't source it local, i think it was about £7 for a 135-270l packet with free delivery.

Latest posts

Back