Star San - no rinse

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With my tap water it goes cloudy right away. But ph is fine. So look out for that. Stays clear with el cheapo bottled water though?

With my tap water it goes cloudy right away. But ph is fine. So look out for that. Stays clear with el cheapo bottled water though?

same here but im using tesco ashbeck water like Herbiehep, but not had that problem of a pong..

if using sodium metabisulphate (campden tabs) in the cleaning/rinsing cycles at all that could be the source of sulfur which is needed for the rotten egg pong afaik ?hydrogen sulfide?

Just ordered some star san, thought I was certain on how i was going to use it but now I'm confused. :lol:

I was going to mix up a litre in a spray bottle and use that for my fv, paddle and bottles and just sacrifice any that drains away. Now, that's all well and good but how can I use it to do my caps and syphon? Should I just make up a separate solution and pour it through the syphon and back in to its container then pour some more into another container with the caps and the pour it back once it's done? Is that the most sensible way to do it all?

mixing up 1l will require a way to measure out circa 1.6ml (from memory)
5l and adding circa 8ml is easier ;) for a siphon thats clean and well rinsed why not imerse as much as u can in the 5l bottle and syphon out as much as u need for you caps ;)

mixing up 1l will require a way to measure out circa 1.6ml (from memory)
5l and adding circa 8ml is easier ;) for a siphon thats clean and well rinsed why not imerse as much as u can in the 5l bottle and syphon out as much as u need for you caps ;)

Genius, and I can just spray any of the outside which didn't get submerged. Although, how would I start the siphon off? I'd usually use water but obviously don't want to dilute the star San.

couple of ways, use your starsan dipped hand as a mouthpiece to suck on while you clench the tube tight, Or if u cant get that to work chop off an inch or 2 and use that, if your tube is terminated with a lil tap you should be able to slip the little length of tube u suck on onto its exit spout,

" But now the Starsan solution has developed a pong - abit sulphury or rotten eggy."

None of you guys have had this Starsan pong problem that I am getting so I contacted Starsan and they were good enough to reply
From Starsan
"I would happy to answer you questions. First off thanks for supporting our products, Starsan can last for some time in concentrate and in a mixed solution. In concentrate the product will stay good for about a year. In a mixed solution it can stay good for a while as well. If you are using reverse osmosis or distilled water to make up your solution it can last for 6 months or longer. If you are using tap water is can stay good for 3 months or longer. The best way to test the effectiveness of a mixed solution is to test your ph level. As long as your level is at 3.5 or below and you have a clear solution it will do exactly what it is intended to do. Sometimes you will notice a slight odor the longer the product sits."

They mention the possibility of a slight odour after time but they don't describe it.They do expect to have a clear solution ,which I never have. So ph level seems to be the crucial factor.
At 8ml per 5ltr you get 29 mixes from the smaller size Starsan so I'm going to change my mix regularly as the concentrate may only be good for 1 year anyway. Works out less than 40p per 5ltr mix using tap water so I wont be going down the Reverse Osmosis or distilled water route.

Just mixed up my first litre of star San. Using a child's medicine syringe. I used 2 ml as 1.6 really is tiny and me being of little faith. :-). The mix stayed perfectly clear.

Latest posts

Back