Starsan query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnadibble

Reaction score
Guys, I know there's been threads on Startup before, but do I only use 1.5ml of the stuff in a ltr? Is that it? Am new to this and can't help thinking I've got this wrong.
I've put my solution in a spray bottle, sprayed everything so it's covered and then left it. Is that correct or have I missed something. Seems too good to be true, and by the old adage, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Is this the exception to the rule.

Guys, I know there's been threads on Startup before, but do I only use 1.5ml of the stuff in a ltr? Is that it? Am new to this and can't help thinking I've got this wrong.
I've put my solution in a spray bottle, sprayed everything so it's covered and then left it. Is that correct or have I missed something. Seems too good to be true, and by the old adage, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Is this the exception to the rule.

Starsan is expensive to buy for a reason, as long as you clean everything well a 1l bottle made up should last you quite a while, a 1/4 litre bottle of starsan i got this time last year is only 1/2 used up. The fact its reusable will save you a lot of time and money over other sanitizers which is why i don't spray with it but make up a 10l batch at a time and put everything thru it.

Starsan is expensive to buy for a reason, as long as you clean everything well a 1l bottle made up should last you quite a while, a 1/4 litre bottle of starsan i got this time last year is only 1/2 used up. The fact its reusable will save you a lot of time and money over other sanitizers which is why i don't spray with it but make up a 10l batch at a time and put everything thru it.

I spray stuff either holding whatever I'm spraying over a bucket or a funnel that is in the jerry can I keep the starsan in so any extra just goes straight back into the jerry can.

I've had my bottle f undiluted starsan for at least 3 years and there's still about 1/3 left

it's 1.5 to 2.5ml to a litre. I do 2ml to a liter because when rinsing other stuff with tap water their will always be a bit left on so when they go in the star san there's a tiny dilution to the solution and having a margin for error means I can re-use star stan many times.

I only spray the hard to reach areas or for things I can't fit in my bowl of starsan. I also use a spontex kitchen cloth soaked in Star San to coat the inside of the fv etc.

Thanks guys. So it really is as easy as that. As long as I spray everywhere, and test my spray bottle every now and then, I'll be ok. Just seems too good to be true. I've been used to chucking copious amounts of VWP in everything.
Thanks once again.

Latest posts

Back