start 1100 stop 1030 ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holly

Reaction score
knocked up a wine similar to wurzels the start was1100 its now stopped at 1030 anyone any ideas why its not fermenting out more ? i used youngs gp yeast ive had a few stopping like this :hmm:

I wouldnt of thought the yeast would be to blame.

Just the usual things to check i suppose, Temp - warm and constant?? acidity? no preserv. in the juices??

jon

hi guys thanks for replys , the said brew is in my spacious double garage (never had a car in it ) the temp is 20 it as a single demi john heater belt fitted around the bottom of the demi john and is also wrapped with an home made jacket made from builders expansion joint foam so the temp is fairly consistant the brew is a wurzels orange the only differance being i used a small can of youngs red grape concentrate and a 1kg bag of sugar . since posting this topic 2 days ago it as started up again ? with a constant blip not done anything with it or added anything so seems a bit strange :hmm:

Is it still reading 1030 as this is a better indication of fermentation than bubbles through the airlock?

I find that the water in the trap is never even unless there is a leak somewhere allowing the pressure to equalise. Usually when my wine stops fermenting, although there is no movement of the bubbler, they stop with the water all on one side. Changes in temp/pressure can pull the water back, but the only time they are exactly level is when there isn't a perfect seal.

You should check that the airlock is fully sealed in its bung and the bung fully in the neck as it may still be fermenting, and it managed to seal itself for a couple of days to appear to be fermenting, then stop.

thanks for advice did a reading and it is still fermenting the problem was an odd shaped airlock bung that if not forced home did not seal thanks peeps :D

Latest posts

Back