Just left sitting?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samthor.

Reaction score
Hi folks, old lady brewing here! I posted an earlier post regarding priming cider pet bottles ( crikey! Im picking up the lingo!) Well, ive managed to buy a basic pressure barrel wich im now going to use instead of empty plastic cider bottles but it won't arrive until the end of the week. My problem is can I leave it in the fv until it arrives? I've made a festival german weiss kit and its not bubbling at all today, I dont have a hydrometer yet as im just starting up so ive turned off the heat mat wich was heated up at 24c, haven't opened the lid at all and its sitting at 20c for now until the barrel arrives wich I will prime. Ive got some wheat spray malt so im wanting to know 2 things
Will the weiss be OK sitting in the fv for a few days at 20c until my barrel arrives and can I use the wheat spray malt to prime the barrel with instead of sugar? Will the spray malt improve the flavour when used as a primer?

Yes it will be fine, just don't start fiddling with it and opening etc.

Yes. Why are you using spray malt?
Hi, I was given a bag of the wheat spray malt free when I ordered the the kit from amazon but I didnt use it as the kit had some sugar with it for the ferment and a bag of sugar to use as a primer. I haven't opened the fv, just turned off the heater for now

I'm with @MashBag on that. Save spraymalt for a main brew as you don't want to open a full pack just to use 80g for priming.

Also, when adding priming sugar think about how fizzy to want the end product to be & adjust accordingly. Especially with cider, do you like it still, slightly sparkling or really fizzy...

I'm with @MashBag on that. Save spraymalt for a main brew as you don't want to open a full pack just to use 80g for priming.

Also, when adding priming sugar think about how fizzy to want the end product to be & adjust accordingly. Especially with cider, do you like it still, slightly sparkling or really fizzy...

Its a festival german weiss kit mate

My latest batch of beer is 3 weeks in the fv and has only just been reduced to cold crash it. Plan was to bottle today but we've only just got back from a jolly do it'll get bottled Friday...hopefully!

Back