Started my 6th brew On Sunday evening - Rhubarb Juice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photoken

Reaction score
Hi

Started my 3rd brew last night, I had been given around a 1.4kgs of Rhubarb and thought why not find a reciepe and give it a go so I used the following :-

I first cut washed and cut the Rhubarb into small pieces and put into a cleaned bowl to which I added a can of Rhubarb I found knocking about which took the weight up to 1.8- 1.9kgs
I then covered the Rhubarb with sugar around 1.2 kgs and put a lid on and left(sunday night).
Yesterday evening (Tuesday night) I bashed the rhubarb with a potato masher to get more juice out of it , I then strained it through Muslin twice 2 different sieves a muslin again just so I got as much pure juice as I could ( this takes patience ) .

I then tranferred the juice to a cleaned Demi-jon and also added a carton of white grape juice and topped up with my usual bottled water that I use.

I then added the "usual suspects"

4 teabag brew for (tannine)
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp yeast neautrant
1 tsp pect
1 tsp citric acid

I forgot the glyercin so may add when i do a secondery rack off

Werid thing though about 5 mins in and what appears to be clumps of yes i will say it sick appearred bit like when I saw on a kit when you put bentonite in it looked like lumpy clay
I dont no where this has come from as I sieved and strained and only sugared Rhubarb went in there not a trace of actual rhubard --- If anyone has expeinced this please let me no what it is????

Well no action last night - I exepect it had trouble getting through the layer of lumpy stuff at the top of the Demi Jon

I checked this morning (wednesday) and I do have some life a bubble every 30 secs or so and the lumpy stuff is doing the lava lamp trick so will leave it for a week then think about transferring it out to another DJ

If anyone no's why I got the lumpy stuff please explain - thanks

Ken

Latest posts

Back