Starting off elderflower wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marko1966

Reaction score
started a elderflower wine on saturday done a big batch about 14 bottles worth with 3kg of sugar with all the ingredients and then added 3tsp of yeast and 3tsp of yeast extract but still no activity of fermenting yet is this normal.

thanks mark

gave it a good stir like said and its up to 1080 is this ok it only started fermenting on Sunday do i need to add any other ingredients thanks fellas.

3kg sugar, elderflower, 500g raisins crushed, 6 lemons and juice and 50gr of acidic acid plus water that Iis it. And i added 3tsp of yeast and 3tsp of yeast extract.

ooops that was for the cordial recipe doh, citric acid 50 grams.have i cocked it up or will it be ok.

I just made 5 gallons with the intention of producing elderflower champagne, using 25 g of acid (tartaric and malic) resulting in pH 3.5 (which is ok) but a total acidity of 6.75 ppt (as tartaric) which is high, even for champagne. I added 15 g of glycerine but it still tastes rather too sharp. If you are aiming for a sweet wine, then the sugar will mask the high acidity to some extent.

Latest posts

Back