STC-1000 probe: temp variation in liquid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iancraig

Reaction score
Hello,

just finished building a brew fridge. I've been playing around with it, figuring out how well it can hold temperature and what the different settings on the Stc-1000 control.

I noticed that when the probe is in air (inside or outside the fridge) the temperature reading is stable to within say plus-minus 0.2C over one minute.

However, I put the probe in a jamjar of water in the fridge and saw variation of plus-minus 2C within 10 seconds.

Anyone else noticed this instability in liquid?

I guess it is due to the higher thermal conductivity of water and possibly convection currents (the heater was on at the time). I only care because I thought of putting the probe directly in the wort - not sure anymore ....

All the best,

Ian

many here (me too ) tape the probe on the side with bubble wrap is ideal , you seem to get good results . If you just leave the probe in the fridge then stick it on the side of the fv the temp reading changes , so to me giving better results . I less item to infect a brew.

Someone did a load of measurements and basically wherever you put the probe you will get very good temperature control.

However with the probe in the middle of the wort you actually get a slightly higher temperature swing then if you just measure the air in the fridge, mainly because of the temp gradient across the wort.

If I remember correctly there's no point in doing the bubble wrap thing over simply having the probe measuring the air temp.

winelight said:
Someone did a load of measurements and basically wherever you put the probe you will get very good temperature control.

However with the probe in the middle of the wort you actually get a slightly higher temperature swing then if you just measure the air in the fridge, mainly because of the temp gradient across the wort.

If I remember correctly there's no point in doing the bubble wrap thing over simply having the probe measuring the air temp.
Do you remember who done this? I would be interested to have a read :thumb:

My view is that you want to control the temp of the brew rather than the temp of the air in the Fridge so having the probe as close to the brew as possible is the best way to go. I certainly opt for the bubble wrap approach with the probe around mid way up the side of the FV. It is an accepted fact that beer ferments at a degree or 2 above ambient so IMO this is the best compromise.

pjc said:
Do you remember who done this? I would be interested to have a read
I did some measurements a while back looking at the temperature in different locations in the fridge. My results are in this thread viewtopic.php?f=36&t=44131

checked last week again and wrote down results

my ambient temperature is set to 20.4C
with A 0.3C tolerance
fact my wort is 19.8C
did this when took out my furstey ferret clone thingy into secondary to dry hop it last week
aiming for 20c
so thats my fridge TOTALLY calibrated
used me Comark thermometer to verify this

done this by taping polystyrene onto the fermenter and the sensor OR IF YOUR AMERICAN SWENSOUIR tucked inside it

Latest posts

Back