Sterilising......

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djlestat

Reaction score
Hey guys n gals,

Is it safe to leave a few inches of ritchies steriliser and cleaner, sealed, in the bottom of a dj while not in use?
Or will I need to re sterilise everytime I need one? :wha:

Cheers
Dj

I always sterilise just before using my equipment. Probably just habit but i dont like risking the chance of a wasted brew...

No, don't leave a cleaner/steriliser in the jar long-term.

After you've sterilised and rinsed, keep it ‘sweet’ by putting in an inch of cold water and crushing in two CTs. Wrap the neck of the DJ with foil or clingfilm and give it a shake every week or so.

When you come to use, just drain and go for it.

If it hasn't been put back into service within a couple of months, change the solution.

Moley said:
No, don't leave a cleaner/steriliser in the jar long-term.

After you've sterilised and rinsed, keep it ‘sweet’ by putting in an inch of cold water and crushing in two CTs. Wrap the neck of the DJ with foil or clingfilm and give it a shake every week or so.

When you come to use, just drain and go for it.

If it hasn't been put back into service within a couple of months, change the solution.

Thats superb, cheers mate.

Is it possible to do this with the rest of the equipment, (spare airlocks, spoons, etc) in a sealed container?

My spare airlocks, bungs etc. are always put away cleaned and dried then disinfected on demand. Same with spoons, sieves, hydrometers, trial jars and all the other paraphernalia.

Latest posts

Back