Sterilizing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfapat

Reaction score
Is there a better way or simpler way of sterilizing my fermenting bucket other than filling it to the top with warm water and using 5 teaspoons of VWP powdered sterilizer or is this a fool proof method. I do this twice in a batch process to run the the finished brew into another bucket to bottle . Maybe being lazy HUH?

I’m a Starsan fan. I’m also obsessive about cleaning. Everything gets a thorough clean when packing up, and then again, during the brewday. I’d be surprised if any bugs survive til Starsan time.
I ferment in SSBrewtec kit so chlorinated sanitation is a no no.

Last edited:
But apparently VWP is perfectly fine to use on SS without fear of damage etc
It probably is, and I’ve been using it in the kegs for ever.
TSP was recommended when I bought the Brewbucket, it’s cheap as chips on eBay and I’ve stuck with that ever since. They advised that you stay away from chlorine back then.
I’m talking cleaning here. For sanitation, Starsan degrades into stuff that’s in beer anyway. Small volumes can coat your FV in a long lasting foam that is very reassuring to pour off just before you fill and pitch yeast.

Is there a better way or simpler way of sterilizing my fermenting bucket other than filling it to the top with warm water and using 5 teaspoons of VWP powdered sterilizer or is this a fool proof method. I do this twice in a batch process to run the the finished brew into another bucket to bottle . Maybe being lazy HUH?
Put a litre of warm water in it, put a teaspoon of vwp in there (or whatever the recommended dose is) whack the lid on then shake it to get vwp on all the surfaces. Leave for a bit, then repeat. Leave for a bit then rinse.

Did this for 15 years. Never had an infection

This is all that is necessary, see instructions on the tub. I must admit that I used 5 litres hot water with a tablespoon of VWP and all other bits go in the FV, airlocks, siphons, dry-hop bags, cleaning cloths.

Put a litre of warm water in it, put a teaspoon of vwp in there (or whatever the recommended dose is) whack the lid on then shake it to get vwp on all the surfaces. Leave for a bit, then repeat. Leave for a bit then rinse.

Did this for 15 years. Never had an infection
Great idea , why I didn’t think of that I don’t know , good job I asked , Thank You!

I use a splash of bleach in a couple of gallons of water after cleaning the fv after bottling. Then before re using it again I rinse it out well with cold water and finally rinse it out with a kettle full of boiling water.
If that makes me a bleach queen, so be it. But it works

VWP is great for cleaning and sanitising all in one. Cheap and easy enough to get.
I clean my stainless steel stuff with grainfather cleaner or PBW and sanitise with StarSan. But will still use VWP for tubing, plastic buckets, etc.

Back