Stilton cheese

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanzanite

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got back from Cropwell Bishop creamery this Afternoon with a Quarter wheel of there Finest Stilton, a big chunk of soft Beauvale Blue and a big nog of Extra Mature cheddar,I will be fertling amongst my stock of ales , ports and sweet dessert wines, and matching up with the cheese , The crackers and sweet Hovis digestives are under starters orders and a couple of large sweet home grown onions are at the ready. Think i am going to end up being sick this Christmas if not careful:lol:

A perfect evening snack by the sound of it.

For the youngsters I slice the onions very thinly, put them in a bowl, sprinkle them with a teaspoonful of caster sugar and a shake of vinegar. It calms down even the fiercest onion. :thumb:

I love cheese especially Stilton. Must try and match it with beer one day, tend to have it whilst either polishing off whatever red wine we've got open or with a glass of Port.

Whilst I do enjoy Stilton, it's even better in cooking. Stilton and leek risotto!! Or baked squash with Stilton, bacon and leek filling..oh yum.

We have a local shop that has a massive selection of bottle ales, I mean anything you want really. I often go there for Jaipur and other Thornbridge ales . One day I got some Bear state, an American DIPA and teh indian guy said that beer is great with cheese. I also bought some Jaipur and again he said , that's great with cheese, never yet tried it as the beer is good on it's own.

I have not yet found a cheese I do not like!

We have a local shop that has a massive selection of bottle ales, I mean anything you want really. I often go there for Jaipur and other Thornbridge ales . One day I got some Bear state, an American DIPA and teh indian guy said that beer is great with cheese. I also bought some Jaipur and again he said , that's great with cheese, never yet tried it as the beer is good on it's own.

I have not yet found a cheese I do not like!

rehills? great beer selection. im over due a trip there :thumb:

A perfect evening snack by the sound of it.

For the youngsters I slice the onions very thinly, put them in a bowl, sprinkle them with a teaspoonful of caster sugar and a shake of vinegar. It calms down even the fiercest onion. :thumb:
Try fermenting them in brine and a little sugar. 3 days to a week and then into the fridge.

Hmm... those onions sound good - must try! :smile:
For the cheese - I love Stilton but my top vote has to go to Shropshire Blue. Wonderful :thumb:

Hmm... those onions sound good - must try! :smile:
For the cheese - I love Stilton but my top vote has to go to Shropshire Blue. Wonderful :thumb:

i will be back to Cropwell Bishop New year for Shropshire Blue yes another excellent cheese, Beltons Red Fox is also very good, Who needs the froggies cheese when we have fantastic cheese at home , :thumb:

.......... Who needs the froggies cheese when we have fantastic cheese at home , :thumb:

Snap!! French blue cheeses have been a source of major disappointment to me for over 40 years!

Apart from Roquefort and St. Agur almost all of the French blue cheeses I've discovered are pretty tasteless when compared to Stilton!

I've even been known to buy a block of Danish Blue out of sheer frustration! :nono: :nono: :nono:

Snap!! French blue cheeses have been a source of major disappointment to me for over 40 years!

Apart from Roquefort and St. Agur almost all of the French blue cheeses I've discovered are pretty tasteless when compared to Stilton!

I've even been known to buy a block of Danish Blue out of sheer frustration! :nono: :nono: :nono:

True mate, St Auger is a factory produced cheese that was invented for export ,its only been around since 1988 , its a nice cheese but its the salt that makes you like it more ? If you can get it try Beauvale from the Cropwell Bishop Creamery . Many people are under the misconception that Stilton needs to be very mature, young stilton when just finished the recommended maturing time is a stunning creamy cheese with a gorgeous finish in the mouth. I used to buy full round wheels of Stilton and Blue Shropshire at Nottingham Cattle market on a Sat morning. The creamery sent them when they had a glut. I paid £2.00 -4.00 per full wheel , but it all went west with EEC rules those b*****ds have spoilt so much with there face less stupid rules.

Latest posts

Back