Storage problem in the making ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Morning pop pickers 😎

I had a new front door put on last week so my previously ideal cool and dark storage area for wow and TC is now not so cool and has daylight coming in thanks to a properly fitting door (with a glazed section in it)

Whilst ideal for keeping my hall bright and warm, I'm concerned about my wine etc...

Am I right in thinking that it'll spoil if exposed to daylight ? Could I just throw a sheet or something over them ?

Advice appreciated as always 😊

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

would say yes to spoiling it, but then I only brew beer, but when ever I have had to have a brew in a place where I know there will be light I just throw an old fleece over the box and had no problems. so can't see why a sheet would not be just as effective.

Brew fridge mate. That's the answer. Only problem is - I can only get one 25l batch and one 5l Demi in there at any one time .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeping it from the light is the easy bit. Dark bottles or even throw a sheet over it and job done.

My issue is the temperature. Wine stored in a garage which is not exactly element proof. Gets cold to the point of frosty in winter and bloody hot in summer. . Bit of a problem really. Can only cover the wine and hope for the best. All racked.

I made half a dozen DJ covers from brown paper for about 99p, that keeps the sun off

Keeping it from the light is the easy bit. Dark bottles or even throw a sheet over it and job done.

My issue is the temperature. Wine stored in a garage which is not exactly element proof. Gets cold to the point of frosty in winter and bloody hot in summer. . Bit of a problem really. Can only cover the wine and hope for the best. All racked.

IF the floor area isn't in direct sunlight then, as an experiment, lay a thermometer on the floor and cover it up with an old towel.

As a general rule, the temperature fluctuations will be quite small.

If you move the thermometer around the area available you should find the optimum spot to construct an insulated cover for your bottles, to keep the light out and the temperature steady. :thumb:

Thanks for the responses, will chew on some of those 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back