Store Bought Apple Juice Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavint.

Reaction score
Hello all,
I’m currently fermenting store bought apple juice in a 20L food safe container. I am screwing the cap on just enough for bugs and bad stuff to keep out, but leaving it loose enough so the gasses can escape, and burping it once a day to be safe.

My question is will this be alright , or will I be exposing it to oxygen too much?

Thank you!
Gavin

At the begining when you have vigorous fermentation, you probably don't even need the cap on as the yeast will be producing a lot of CO2.

(And back in the day, farm cider would be open fermented)

But it sounds like you are in the 'low cost'/minimal equipment brewing camp.

If you had more than 1 lid for your container, you could drill a hole and add an airlock.

If not, you could cover with cling film & elastic band to hold it in place & make a couple of small slits with a knife. That way stuff can't get in, CO2 can get out & if something goes wrong, the pressure will just blow the cling film & not explode the whole container.

dont burp it. when you do you will suck air back in. although imo ciders are more forgiving with oxidation than beer. especially if you are not using beer yeast.

you are fine with leavign the lid loose. if you want a little more protectioin just cut a notch in the top of the opening. that will prevent it sealing . in theory the condensed co2 in the threads of the cap will create an airlock of sorts. ala Mr. Beer lids. another option is a large balloon with a pinhole or latex glove.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/confused-how-does-mr-beer-ferment-without-an-airlock.177195/
could you post a pic of your fermenter. if its a universal lid just get another like jof said.

Latest posts

Back