Storing grains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfr42

Landlord.
Reaction score
About to click buy on my next 3 AG brews using geterbreweds custom grain kits to maximise my bang for my buck on the postage.

Will the 2nd and 3rd brews be ok, bagged for 3 and 6 weeks respectively as I've only got the one FV and aquarium heater?

I'm assuming so, but any advice on where to store 2 5kg bags of grain is more than welcome.

I was wondering the same thing
I was thinking off buying a sack of crushed grain

Whole grains keep for yonks, just make sure they are well stored ie; airtight, cool and dark.
Crushed grain loses extract potential over time, it actually degrades fairly quickly. I wouldn't keep crushed for any length of time.

You will be fine. The grain should have a use by date. I ordered loads of grain, enough for 5 full brews back in December and most of the grain had 6 months plus date in them. They are now stored in vacuum bags in mango drums

Have a mango drum too for maris otter and have a lager malt left in its original sack. Haven't noticed any problems with a couple of months in. Not saying it hasn't stared going stale, just that I can't tell.

I buy enough crushed grains for 5 or 6 brews at a time, and store it in the brew shed for 2-3 months - haven't had any problems.

Not that I would recommend it, but I recently made two brews with Marris Otter crushed grain which I had stored and a non-air tight container for 18 months (in a cool dry garage).

I had opened the sack of grain over 2 years ago.

I can happily report that the beer tastes bloody lovely.

Like I say, I definitely wouldn't recommend it, but it does mean your few months will be absolutely fine.

Thanks all.

Will click the order through later this afternoon.

Not that I would recommend it, but I recently made two brews with Marris Otter crushed grain which I had stored and a non-air tight container for 18 months (in a cool dry garage).

I had opened the sack of grain over 2 years ago.

I can happily report that the beer tastes bloody lovely.

Like I say, I definitely wouldn't recommend it, but it does mean your few months will be absolutely fine.

I have also recently used some crushed grains I got well over a year ago, in fact I bottled it last week and it tasted spot on from the trial jar.
Its been kept in a plastic non air tight box in a dark garage.

Jay :)

Latest posts

Back