Storing Star San

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SE10PAT

Reaction score
i've just started using Star San to clean my equipment, mixing 1.5ml to 1 litre of water.

Does anyone know how long I can store this for in some old 5 litre still water bottles?

cheers
Pat

Apparantly it's fine until it goes quite cloudy.

I still use mine even after it's gone cloudy though. I have never actually thrown any away, it just seems disappear over time.

I reuse as well, so I pour 5 litres of mixed Starsan into a corny, shake it around a bit, then gas up the corny and run the Starsan out through the tap back into the 5 litre bottle.

I have the bottles anyway as I have hard water that is no use for Starsan so have to buy Tesco cheap water to mix it up with.

OK thanks Steve. Mine does actually appear to be a bit cloudy anway when I mixed it up, it had been shaken around in the fermenting bin for a bit so do you think this would cause it?

I am only worried as I have been making a few brews lately and obviously I want to ensure that i'm sanitising everything properly with the new cleaner.

Just read this regarding hard water and star San. Never knew that!! I've hard water and been using star San for the past couple of batches! Eek!!!

Found this on a US stores listing for Star San

" Reusable: a solution of Star San will remain effective for up to three to four weeks in a sealed container; it is effective as long as the pH is 3 or lower"

pH tester pens , anyone ?

shocker said:
Found this on a US stores listing for Star San

" Reusable: a solution of Star San will remain effective for up to three to four weeks in a sealed container; it is effective as long as the pH is 3 or lower"

pH tester pens , anyone ?

I wish I had kept all those Litmus paper books from school now!

Sod the papers , get one of these ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290602820160? ... 3444wt_954

they work well enough as long as you calibrate with a buffer solution , preferably two point . Sounds complicated ? It isnt at all , calibrating consists of dipping it in a fluid of a known pH value and turning a little screw until the pens LCD reads the known value of the fluid , the buffer solution . Look after them and they last a few years , and then cheap enough to buy another . The first one I had over 10 years ago was £60 , now they are everywhere for a tenner - some even in the UK ! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back