Storing sterile solution

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SE10PAT

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm sure I saw a post on this before, but last night I finished bottling my latest brew and took the liberty of storing the sterile solution in my empty FV. Anyone got suggestions on how long I can keep this for before the sterile qualities erode?

My next brew tins should be turning up tonight, so should have a chance to get mixing at the weekend. Do you think the solution will still be ok to use on sat/sun?

cheers
Pat

Pat,

As I am aware it should stay fine for a matter of months, I change mine after every batch though. That is to say that I wash and sterilise everything, including the bottles for the bottling at the same time as I am usually brewing another batch on the same day as bottling.

I only ever bin it when it starts to get a little bubbly so has been contaminated. Someone will likely point out something I have missed though... relatively new to the game myself.

What Sterilizing solution are you using? It does depend on what it, is Videne degrades with time.

If in doubt remix a new solution. I often sterilize by steaming either with a steam cleaner/wallpaper striper or by putting a kettle pluged in on the floor with out the lid on and let it boil away for 5 - 10 mins with the fv over the top. i usually give it a squirt with Videne to make sure though.

Just using some youngs powder, nothing fancy such as this videne stuff. 3 or 4 teaspoons in a big bucket and 10 or so litres of water

The only reason I ask it because i seem to be going through the stuff like water (so to speak) so just wanted to try and reserve my supplies being the tight ars£ I am!

I use sodium metabisulphite bought it 500g bags , very cheap that way. 1 tsp per litre or so and it seems tobe working so far, not had any baddies yet.

Videne is good it will cost you about £5.00 but you will have to order it from a chemist. Otherwise you can use thin cheap bleach but I don't know the dilution rates and it needs to be rised because it leaves a smell and the chlorine will produce TCP flavours in beer.

:cheers:

I use Starsan, which you can store and reuse.

I'm sure there does come a point you have to chuck it out.

I usually just wash everything thoroughly then spray it with Starsan solution using a garden sprayer. The stuff lasts for ages.

I'm just using the youngs powder , the first question i asked at the brew centre were i got it was ... how long would it be good for . the reply was 3 - 4 weeks after being mixed , i just swap it from FV to FV and clean everything with the same stuff .

Latest posts

Back