storing wine in 5ltr water bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flumpcat

Reaction score
please can anyone tell me if its ok to store wines in plasic water bottles.i only have 5 djs and they are all full, hard to get round here.2 country wines clearing and supermarked juice wine.also have a wow on the go . thanks for your help in advance , Debbie :mrgreen:

Hi Debbie,

I'm no expert but I have read several posts on this forum where people are using the 5 ltr Plastic Water bottles as fermentation vessels.

John

Hi Debbie,Storing wine in plastic is fine for the short term but for long term country wines i would always use glass.By short term i mean a few months long term a year plus. :cheers:

thanks for your speedy replies , so i would be better off fermentin in the plastic bottles.also i could store wow or supermarket juice wine in these as they will prob be drunk soon lol.how to you fit the airlock and what is the best way to get a seal , sorry for all these questions . thanks Debbie

flumpcat said:
thanks for your speedy replies , so i would be better off fermentin in the plastic bottles.also i could store wow or supermarket juice wine in these as they will prob be drunk soon lol.how to you fit the airlock and what is the best way to get a seal , sorry for all these questions . thanks Debbie

Yes and Yes.

Moley reckons you can drill an 8 or 9mm hole in the cap and insert the airlock straight in. I didn't know what size drill bit to use so when I needed one I had Mr Barkie drill a circle of small holes, press the centre out, file it smooth, and press a standard airlock bung firmly in.

I normally drill a hole and insert a rubber grommet into it and that works well.About a 10mm drill bit and the grommet's are about a quid for 3 then put you airlock into the grommet. :cheers: Ken

Latest posts

Back