Stout/Porter Yeast - thbc

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldlager

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm making an order on http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk (now that the site is back up) and am after a dried english porter/stout yeast. Aiming to make a strong porter, maybe more towards a sweat stout.

Ideally i'd get sumit like WL London Ale or Wyeast London Ale but thbc doesn't appear to stock them.

Any ideas of a suitable replacement based on their current stock? Here's a ;ink to thei dred yeasts:
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/yea ... 62_63.html

Thanks in advance

If you want dried then go with Nottingham. Make the final beer quite dry tho.

Thanks for the responses> i got tired waiting for thbc to sort their site out so I ordered the following dried yeast from an alternate source:
- Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast
- Youngs Ale yeast
- Safale S-04 (not for stout, needed some for other beer)

I am planning to put make enough for 2 fermenters of porter, ferment one with Youngs and one with Danstar, see what the outcome is.

The youngs yeast only comes in a tiny 5g pack BUT it only a quid, I can easily put a starter toegther a few days in advance. I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

Shame the Nottingham is likely to dry the beer up, I wanted to make a sweeter style porter. Why does this yeast dry up the beer, high ettentuation? Might mash quite high to counter this slightly.

I know liquid yeast is supposed to be 'better' but it makes little difference to me as I usually make a starter the week before brewing so always pitch a tonne of yeast and never had any probs. Lag is usually a couple hours or less...

Cheers

In my experience stouts and porters don't need as much yeast starter as lighter coloured brews, you could do a small starter 24 pre brew.

Check out my 1086 OG stout using a 300ml starter of Gervin Real Ale Yeast which I posted about a week ago. :)

IMG_3764_zps3b799654.jpg

Jimmy321 said:
In my experience stouts and porters don't need as much yeast starter as lighter coloured brews, you could do a small starter 24 pre brew.

Check out my 1086 OG stout using a 300ml starter of Gervin Real Ale Yeast which I posted about a week ago. :)

IMG_3764_zps3b799654.jpg

Oh my friggin god, the yeasties have rebelled against their beer obsessed masters and have rallied their numbers in an attempt to overthrow the usurpers!

Latest posts

Back