Sugar in cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need if you keep it for couple of months then?

I found the first couple of batches I made were a bit acidic, and needed to be aged. After about 2 months they were fine, but better after 3 months.

Then on the next batch I added malic acid. This one was drinkable quite quickly.
That was apple / pear juice.

I found the first couple of batches I made were a bit acidic, and needed to be aged. After about 2 months they were fine, but better after 3 months.

Then on the next batch I added malic acid. This one was drinkable quite quickly.
That was apple / pear juice.

Is that in dj or big fv. And is it apple and pear juice in same carton?

Is that in dj or big fv. And is it apple and pear juice in same carton?

I have a 15 litre FV I use for cider. DJ aren't big enough and 25 litres is a bit too much. Yes the juice is from the same carton, a mix of apple and pear.

14.4 Litres Apple / Pear Juice (comes in 2.4 litre bottles here in Australia hence the odd measurement)

630g raw sugar
Tannin - The juice from 4 tea bags
Pectolase - 3 tsp
Glycerin - 3 tsp
Malic Acid - 3 tsp
7 gram Cider Yeast

SG ?
FG 992

Heated 1and a half Litres of Juice and dissolved the sugar. Then added the tea bags. Put all ingredients in FV.

I have a 15 litre FV I use for cider. DJ aren't big enough and 25 litres is a bit too much. Yes the juice is from the same carton, a mix of apple and pear.

14.4 Litres Apple / Pear Juice (comes in 2.4 litre bottles here in Australia hence the odd measurement)

630g raw sugar
Tannin - The juice from 4 tea bags
Pectolase - 3 tsp
Glycerin - 3 tsp
Malic Acid - 3 tsp
7 gram Cider Yeast

SG ?
FG 992

Heated 1and a half Litres of Juice and dissolved the sugar. Then added the tea bags. Put all ingredients in FV.

What was sg reading for that being you've added sugar to?

I find them best after a couple of months and the longest a batch has lasted is six months.

Best making a load then so i don't get tempted to try one 😂😂😂. I've got two on the go one with apple and lowicz strawberry and one with raspberry.

What was sg reading for that being you've added sugar to?

SG, starting gravity. I forgot to check what the gravity was before fermentation.
I always forget.

Most of my beer gets chucked in brew fridge for at least 14 days at 18C. I figure after 14 days it ready for bottling. Hardly ever use a hydrometer.

The sugar in wine is usually there to increase the ABV of the wine; sometimes to higher than 13%.

Imagine quaffing pints of cider at that level of alcohol. :whistle:

Usually, there is an adequate amount of sugar in the apple juice to get an ABV of up to 6%; but I prefer it much lower! :thumb:

My TC came out at 4% ag 1.030 and sg 1.000 i used tesco apple 3 ltrs and rest water.

No. I've seen recipes that use them but I didn't with this cider.

How do you do your TC mate when you do it with lowicz can you give me your recipe from start to finish if you don't mind please?

Everything is sterilised. Then put 4 litres of lidl apple juice in dj and a splash from my mangrove jack cider yeast starter bottle. Once the initial burst of fermenting has subsided, a couple of days or so, add a 440ml bottle of Lowics the flavour you want. Once it's finished transfer to second dj and batch prime 8 teaspoons of sugar then bottle.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Everything is sterilised. Then put 4 litres of lidl apple juice in dj and a splash from my mangrove jack cider yeast starter bottle. Once the initial burst of fermenting has subsided, a couple of days or so, add a 440ml bottle of Lowics the flavour you want. Once it's finished transfer to second dj and batch prime 8 teaspoons of sugar then bottle.

:thumb:
Have done two fruit turbo's. One with lowictz raspberry and another with Rasberry,Chokeberry and Blueberry, both in FV's. Similar way to your brew. 4 litre apple juice plus fruit juice/s,leave for four days and add a further litre of apple juice
and fermrnt out. Used sparkling wine yeast on both. Came out really clear but strong, mixed fruit was around 8.4%.

I only use 3L of apple juice per DJ coz we like a refreshing cider that is not too strong, then either 1L no added sugar squash per DJ, or one bottle of Lowicz polish syrup per DJ, the NAS squash one is sweet n weak and the Lowicz one is dry n strong, so I combine the two DJ's at priming/bottling time.

I only use 3L of apple juice per DJ coz we like a refreshing cider that is not too strong, then either 1L no added sugar squash per DJ, or one bottle of Lowicz polish syrup per DJ, the NAS squash one is sweet n weak and the Lowicz one is dry n strong, so I combine the two DJ's at priming/bottling time.
Chug, i think the mix of three syrups that i used along with the sparkling wine yeast pushed up the ABV to what it was. Now i don't drink the stuff ,although i did try one of each,but gave it away. The strong mixed fruit one went down really well despite the strength as against just the raspberry one which was not so well recieved. Matter of taste i guess.

You don't use pectolase , tanning or yeast nutrient then do you?

You don't use pectolase , tanning or yeast nutrient then do you?
No don't use any of those. I like the simplicity. Apple juice, yeast and flavour.

Latest posts

Back