Summer Hop Experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gomas

Reaction score
Malt Miller were selling Summer 5%AA hops at £1 per 100gms, so i've got 200 grams to use and am planning to experiment.

I've recently had success with a balanced OAT IPA, so i think the Summer hops will lend a nice aroma to a fairly mild beer.

I'm thinking:

15ltr batch / 22 ltr boil - 90 mins, Mashed at 65 degrees for 60 mins.

OG 1.047 FG 1.012
ABV: 4.62%
IBU: 27.77

2.3kg Maris Otter
0.6 kg flaked oats
0.1kg torrified wheat
0.05 Caramalt
6g @ 60 mins Summit 16.4%
50g @ 5 mins Summer 5%
50g dry hop for 2 days

I don't want a hop explosion but the Summer hops in theory has subtle flavors which I am trying to capture.

Any tips on making the most of the dry hopping would be appreciated.

The Summer Hops are 2014 whole hops so i think they will probably come out with less punch than the stated 5%.

At two seasons old, I'd perhaps worry a bit about their potency on both the bittering and aroma/flavour front . So what I'd do is add a bittering charge as much as your comfortable with so if the AA% is not longer 5% you wont end up with a beer thats too sweet for your tastes.

Age effects the flavour/aroma compounds more than the bittering potention (iirc beta acids trun into alpha acids over time) So I'd put loads in as a 0min addtion (perhaps as much as 100g) plus your dry hop addition and scrap the 5min addion.

Just what I'd do though as you dont know how much "punch" they have after two season. They could have been kept in pristine condition for all you know. As long as they dont smell cheesey they should be ok in some shape of form

Summer's write up in beer smith says that the aroma is best captured in dry hopping. Maybe taste a sample after a few days of dry hopping and even consider a second dry hop if you want a bit more aroma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malt Miller were selling Summer 5%AA hops at ��£1 per 100gms, so i've got 200 grams to use and am planning to experiment.

I've recently had success with a balanced OAT IPA, so i think the Summer hops will lend a nice aroma to a fairly mild beer.

I'm thinking:

15ltr batch / 22 ltr boil - 90 mins, Mashed at 65 degrees for 60 mins.

OG 1.047 FG 1.012
ABV: 4.62%
IBU: 27.77

2.3kg Maris Otter
0.6 kg flaked oats
0.1kg torrified wheat
0.05 Caramalt
6g @ 60 mins Summit 16.4%
50g @ 5 mins Summer 5%
50g dry hop for 2 days

I don't want a hop explosion but the Summer hops in theory has subtle flavors which I am trying to capture.

Any tips on making the most of the dry hopping would be appreciated.

The Summer Hops are 2014 whole hops so i think they will probably come out with less punch than the stated 5%.

hmm I just had a quick look and see no hops for a quid at 100 grams,linky?:thumb: ahh I see what you did there by saying WERE,must have missed that along with hoardes of others:doh:

I should be getting paid for malt miller hits! They are no longer for sale, but he does usually have something on there going cheaply.

Ok, i'll up the bittering, and then just shove my 50 gms to 0 mins, with the 50gms dry hop. If it tastes of nothing, i'll bang the other 100gms in for a few days as

Thanks for the tips.

I should be getting paid for malt miller hits! They are no longer for sale, but he does usually have something on there going cheaply.

Ok, i'll up the bittering, and then just shove my 50 gms to 0 mins, with the 50gms dry hop. If it tastes of nothing, i'll bang the other 100gms in for a few days as

Thanks for the tips.

When I clicked on the 'sale items' I noticed they also had glacier hops from 2013 going for £1. But all out of stock now of course (anyone fance 1kg of sorachi ace for £19 as that's still in stock). Seems it's worth keeping an eye on the sale bit if you use MM regularly

shhhh you'll give the game away ;)

This is now brewed successfully. My FG was 1045, so slightly short of the 1047, but my 30kg bag of malt is probably now 6 months+ old, so may have lost some efficiency.

In the end i upped the bittering addition a bit with 25 grams of old Pioneer 10% AA hops at 45 mins, giving around 30 IBUS. Whirlpooled 50gms of summer, with a further 50 for dry hopping. It tasted OK so i think it should be good once fully fermented and dry hopped.

When I clicked on the 'sale items' I noticed they also had glacier hops from 2013 going for ��£1. But all out of stock now of course (anyone fance 1kg of sorachi ace for ��£19 as that's still in stock). Seems it's worth keeping an eye on the sale bit if you use MM regularly
thehomebrewcompany have a sale on for leaf hops at the moment and lots of them are 2016 harvest. Some are sold out but you can still pick up some bargains. Delivery ramps the price up but if you're already buying grain, yeast etc. then it might be worth it. I just picked up some Centennial and Cascade for my next brew along with some WLP023.

Well, this turned out fine, but nothing special. As with both batches of beers with Oats that i have done, they have improved hugely with age, getting much more balanced over time. The hops may have been a bit old or my dry hopping not very effective, because there weren't really any distinctive aromas.

Well, this turned out fine, but nothing special. As with both batches of beers with Oats that i have done, they have improved hugely with age, getting much more balanced over time. The hops may have been a bit old or my dry hopping not very effective, because there weren't really any distinctive aromas.

I used some Summer hops last year that weren't old, and also found then to be very tame. I don't think I'd use them again.

Back