Syphon tubes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevie1556

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just a word of warning, make sure you clean them out 100% properly. My stupid here didn't (just used some hot water) and went I to use it on Sat it had mould inside it. I always used to sanatise it again after use so going to have to start doing that again.

Bit of a pain as I made 23L of apple cider from The Range, 9L of Ribena TC, 1 gallon pineapple WOW, 2 gallons of cherry WOW and a gallon of strawberry wine from Wilkos. Need to get the wines racked and ciders bottled as I stsrted them 4-5 weeks ago!

Ah well, live and learn eh? Got a new syphon tube coming from eBay for £2.75 with first class postage now though. Bargain price! :cheers:

I for actually find them a b***h to clean properly. Can never get the inside completely immersed and in contact with the sterilising fluid.

Anyone got any top tips for making sure they're properly sterilized?

In the past I've just used boiling water.

stand it in a fv filled with star san for half hour and keep pumping the liquid thro a few times also keep wetting the top outside in the sanitiser. No problem

stevie1556 said:
Got a new syphon tube coming from eBay for £2.75 with first class postage now though. Bargain price!
**** a brick! I thought my LHBS were having a laugh when theirs went up from 50p to 99p, and that's for a 5ft tube.

But I always rinse mine immediately after use then suck some Videne solution through it, then whirl it around my head until it's dry, then hang it by the middle over a hook. And I always carry at least one spare.

sorry I was thinking of the auto syphon " pump action...."

One of my funnels is the same size diameter at the bottom of the tube as the outside diameter of my syphon tube, i shove part of the tube inside the funnel tube hold it at head height and pour cleaner into the funnel with a jug, it soon empties so i repeat a couple of times.

Hi, before I start bottling I rig up a bottle full of campden solution, and syphon it into the bottles I'm going to use. Ergo- sterilised bottles and syphon!

crE said:
I for actually find them a b***h to clean properly. Can never get the inside completely immersed and in contact with the sterilising fluid.

Anyone got any top tips for making sure they're properly sterilized?

In the past I've just used boiling water.

Ive generally filled the sink with sanitiser, and just sucked it through the tube until its near enough full then completely submerge it.

piddledribble said:
stand it in a fv filled with star san for half hour and keep pumping the liquid thro a few times also keep wetting the top outside in the sanitiser. No problem

I don't have an auto syphon unfortunately. Would like to get one at some point though!

Moley said:
**** a brick! I thought my LHBS were having a laugh when theirs went up from 50p to 99p, and that's for a 5ft tube.

But I always rinse mine immediately after use then suck some Videne solution through it, then whirl it around my head until it's dry, then hang it by the middle over a hook. And I always carry at least one spare.

I want to goto your LHBS! I feel like I've been ripped off now :(

Never thought about drying it like that, most mine ever had was a few hours on the draining board (actually, I may have judt found my problem!).

Chippy_Tea said:
One of my funnels is the same size diameter at the bottom of the tube as the outside diameter of my syphon tube, i shove part of the tube inside the funnel tube hold it at head height and pour cleaner into the funnel with a jug, it soon empties so i repeat a couple of times.

Any chance I can nick your funnel? I've got a small one somewhere, need to try and find it.

wezil said:
Hi, before I start bottling I rig up a bottle full of campden solution, and syphon it into the bottles I'm going to use. Ergo- sterilised bottles and syphon!

That, that is pure genious!

Latest posts

Back