Tap problem - Help needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pope

Regular.
Reaction score
Right, I'm starting to get worried now.

This is my first brew; when I first took the OG two weeks ago I really struggled to get the liquid out of the tap.

Now I want to take the measurement again, but no liquid is coming out, regardless of which way I twist the tap.

What the hell is happening? How can 5 gallons of liquid defy the laws of physics?

See attached the picture of the fv.

Any answers and help would be appreciated.

20160416_201720.jpg

Is the tap "glugging"? If so.limit your attempts as you're introducing air into your brew.

Regardless your system is closed. Try removing the airlock lid if not loosen the lid of your fv while opening the tap which should allow the brew to flow.

Good luck.

Edit is it the young's ipa you're brewing?
If you dropped in the hop pellets whole they may have disolved and blocked the tap...a very gentle stir may sort this.

The good news is that I managed to get the tap to work. I'm not sure how, I didn't seem to be doing anything different.

Should the liquid smell unpleasant after two weeks fermenting? Like stale cider? I'm brewing Young's American IPA beer kit.

If you care, the specific gravity now is 1.015...OG was 1.054...

My young's apa was very cidery during fermentation and one of my recent bottles was quite cidery.

I've not had it from the ipa but different people's beers ferment differently.

I hope for you nothing has gone wrong as it is a great kit. Did you taste it?
I'm assuming you haven't added the hops yet.

My young's apa was very cidery during fermentation and one of my recent bottles was quite cidery.

I've not had it from the ipa but different people's beers ferment differently.

I hope for you nothing has gone wrong as it is a great kit. Did you taste it?
I'm assuming you haven't added the hops yet.

That's a relief that yours was cidery too.

I didn't taste it, it wasn't appealing at all.

No, not added hops because the instructions say to add hops at SG of 1.010 or lower.

If you have still got it have a sip. I've not had an infection but I think they taste vinegary - have a Google.

Could you take a pic looking inside the top of your fv (I now we're breaking the don't peak rule). 2 weeks should have done the business but an infection would have led to a lower hydrometer reading.

Sorry for talk of infection (as I said fingers crossed I'm wrong).

The picture is taken from the top of the fv.

I tasted it, it wasn't particularly nice but I wouldn't say it was vinegar tasting.

I'd be absolutely gutted if it's failed.

20160416_224805.jpg

once a time, when i was fermeting a double kit (dont remeber wich) the wort was so sugary and after pitching the yeast and sealing the Fermenter, i pulled off some wort from the tap to check OG, well, after that, the fort caramelized the tap and it was like sealed from inside xD i had to throw some hot water on the tap in order to dissolve the caramelized sugar inside the tap xD

Back