Tart Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yasser

Reaction score
I think a little help is needed and appreciated. 2 years ago we had a go at making cider and I was a complete novice. Saying that, the cider came out perfect, 80 bottles of fizzy and a 5 gallon pressure barrel. Move on 2 years as we missed last year and we're trying to replicate are previous success. The apples weren't as good this year and some were quite small and hard as if not quite ready but they were falling from the tree so were picked before we lost them. surprisingly we got 30 gallons of juice and all mixed evenly and when tasted it seemed just right. Fermentation done we have found the cider very tart. so the question is, is there anything we can do at this stage before it goes into bottles? I have seen a video that says precipitated chalk should be used for sharpness but can this be used post fermentation?

No expert here by my apples are Bramley giving juice typically pH2.8 - 3.0. I like things tart, but do just knock the pH up a bit to 3.4-3.6 with ~3 tsp precipitated chalk per 5L, but I do this at the same time I add tannin and some dextrose to bring up to the SG I want. I then confirm the pH and SG just before I add the yeas.

in suppose you coukd try and adjust the pH post fermentation, but would worry it would send things cloudy/degas - best done at the beginning in my book

I think a little help is needed and appreciated. 2 years ago we had a go at making cider and I was a complete novice. Saying that, the cider came out perfect, 80 bottles of fizzy and a 5 gallon pressure barrel. Move on 2 years as we missed last year and we're trying to replicate are previous success. The apples weren't as good this year and some were quite small and hard as if not quite ready but they were falling from the tree so were picked before we lost them. surprisingly we got 30 gallons of juice and all mixed evenly and when tasted it seemed just right. Fermentation done we have found the cider very tart. so the question is, is there anything we can do at this stage before it goes into bottles? I have seen a video that says precipitated chalk should be used for sharpness but can this be used post fermentation?
Once when I made cider the tar taste seemed to fall after the malo-lactic fermentation. Maybe, wait a few months.

When you say tart, do you mean very dry or very acidic ?
well it kinda pulls your cheeks in when tasting. Definitely not acidic. I found some sweetener (acesulphame k) so I've used that to bring it back a bit and if its still like it a time of drinking I'll use a bit of sugar or apple juice in the glass. Failing that, I can always drink the good stuff first and leave this until i have no choice. They do say "Hunger makes a good Cook"

@Vindicator Is it just Bramley you use and is this why you adjust the Ph levels. The first time we made cider the mix of apples was very good and all our trees seemed to be full. This year is not as good with most of the trees just producing small apples and some none at all. The cooker tree did well so this could be where my problem lies, never thought about Ph until i saw a video. Thanks

@Vindicator Is it just Bramley you use and is this why you adjust the Ph levels. The first time we made cider the mix of apples was very good and all our trees seemed to be full. This year is not as good with most of the trees just producing small apples and some none at all. The cooker tree did well so this could be where my problem lies, never thought about Ph until i saw a video. Thanks
My trees are from a larger orchard that got incorporated into my garden. Bramley typically acidic (pH2.8) and low tannin - not typical cider apple profile. Couple with fermentation to FG 1.000 and no back sweetening can lead to things being a bit tart. I tweak to put a bit more in a traditional cider apple direction, but not too far to keep some of the Bramley propertie, whic to be honest I like.

Also found that the drought vin the UK this year has made my crop smaller (in size as well as size of apples), plus many mishapen. Add a codling moth infestation and I reckon I am down 50%

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back