Backsweeten mead with strawberries

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence R

Reaction score
Made my first batch of mead 3 years ago. It turned out so well we used small bottles of it as favours for my sons wedding. The guests were highly sceptical about “home” produce but drank the favours and all the extra bottles. I could have given away twice as much. This year I’m trying to replicate the success and have made twice as much, I have two demijohns on the go. Part of the success, imo, was not backsweetening too much, producing a medium dry wine. This time I‘m tempted to experiment with backsweeting using local strawberries (The honey’s local too) With one of the demijohns.
my thoughts are to stop the fermentation process and rack, add a volume of strawberry pulp and let it stew for a bit, rack again, let it clear then carbonate it in a corny. I’ve then got a sparkling strawberry medium dry mead, perfect for a big summer bbq.
it’s a bit experimental I think but has anyone tried anything similar? Is it a daft idea? Any tips?

Latest posts

Back