TC sweetness

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevie1556

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'll hopefully be bottling my strawberry TC today. But as I'm not a big fan of dry cider I want to sweeten it. I know people use spoons of artificial sweetener, but I only have the small tablet things of canderel in the cupboard, the type from that little box you click. Does anyone know if I would have enough in one of them to sweeten it. It's just a smidgen under 8.5 litres.

Just trying to save myself a trip to Tescos, as everytime I 'pop' there for a couple of bits I always spend at least £30!

The best thing to do is dissolve one one at a time and see. I of those little tablets is surely the equivalent to 1 tsp of sugar.

If you do risk a trip to Tescos then get a tub of Splenda. IMHO it's really good for sweetening homebrew. It's looks like normal sugar except that it's very light, and to me it tastes just like sugar too.

I use 1 teaspoon for a 500ml bottle of TC. That takes the edge off but is still slightly sharp. If you want it sweet then 2 tsp's would probably be fine. Add it as the same time as the priming sugar when you bottle it.

Yeah Splenda is great - i agree, 1 tsp per 500ml bottle is just right - look out for the banana nesquik type tubs :grin:

Cheers for the reply guys.

I used the canderel sweetener tablets that were sitting near the kettle. Don't know why we have them as we both have sugar in our coffee! I dissolved them in water then added them to the cider. It's already tasting quite nice. However, I may have added 55 of those little tablets to just over 9 litres of strawberry TC. Hoping it won't be too sweet, but it tasted ok.

Next time I go shopping a tub of splenda may 'accidentally' fall into the trolley!

Latest posts

Back