TC with Polish raspberry juice is a bit tart to taste??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnsleyBrewer

Reaction score
As the title quotes....
Will adding some artificial sweetener get rid of the tart taste or will it be heartburn fluid?? :wha:

BB

That's raspberry for you...
How young is it? A lot of my TCs start of a bit sharp, fades fairly quickly.

oldbloke said:
That's raspberry for you...
How young is it? A lot of my TCs start of a bit sharp, fades fairly quickly.
About 3 weeks, had a cheeky taste before I was going to bottle....... Not bottled yet, on hold.

BB

Oh, it'll be a lot better in a month.
But I'm not convinced of the wisdom of adding raspberry to a TC

BB - The raspberry syrup was added pre-ferment?
I use it to reduce the tartness of a regular TC at serving time.

Funnily enough I got one from Tescos this week, and
plan to make a WOW with it, £1.25 and 250g sugar.
Anyone done this before?
Pete

tomjones2 said:
What is TC ?

TurboCider.
"turbo" doesn't mean blow-yer-head-off-strong, it means quick-and-easy-to-make
No tedious messing about with real apples...
A zillion threads about it, have a read

The raspberry TC made with the Lowicz syrup does tend to be a little tart when fermented dry, but that's the way I personally like it. It also tends to be rather strong the way I make it (1 bottle syrup per gallon) so sometimes I'll dilute it in the glass with either a splash of lemonade, or a splash of apple juice. Adding a splash of something sweeter rounds out the raspberry flavour in your mouth.

GeorgeSalt said:
The raspberry TC made with the Lowicz syrup does tend to be a little tart when fermented dry, but that's the way I personally like it. It also tends to be rather strong the way I make it (1 bottle syrup per gallon) so sometimes I'll dilute it in the glass with either a splash of lemonade, or a splash of apple juice. Adding a splash of something sweeter rounds out the raspberry flavour in your mouth.
I did 1 bottle to 3g of apple juice and the raspberry taste really shines through...... Just wish it wasn't as tart tasting...... might bottle it and give it 3 months..
If I add sweetener any recommendations to buy? :thumb:

BB

How about flinging some of these in?

052976.jpg

This is the one downfall of the lowicz. The flavour it gives is absolutely fantastic but it is incredibly tart, as said that's just a byproduct of raspberry.

Sugar syrup is your friend, just make some up in a bottle and add it to the glass prior to pouring in. Doesn't require much at all, just enough to take the edge off.

This is assuming you have carbonated it? If not then plain old sugar will do fine. I wouldn't go with sweeteners personally, they just don't taste the same.

Latest posts

Back