Temperature controllers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardagutteridge

Reaction score
:cheers: Hi all just been looking at the link above, as a complete idiot about such things, how is it used in HB, is it easy to use and how would I set it up?

Regards Richard G :drink:

They are used to control the temperature in a brewing cupboard. Typically you would have a fridge with a heater in it. You set the temp and the controller turns on either the fridge or heater as necessary. A probe is used to monitor the temp.

The idea is you can control the temperature your beer ferments at.

I use one in a fridge to control the temp I serve my beer at

IMG_1598.jpg

you can see it on the right stuck down with gaffer tape, just removed the internal thermstat and wired this in, in it's place.

Not very practical Richard. Use a well insulated bucket or cool box. You only need to keep the temp constant for 90 mins. You could use a converted fridge for fermenting, but I wouldn't think it was practical for mashing.

you could build a fermentation cupboard. Insulate the inside and get a maxi cooler and tubular heater wired up to a tc 10 or similar. From the tc10 a probe sits in the beer while its fermenting. Also a stainless steel coil sits in the beer. When the temp gets too warm the probe tells the maxi cooler to turn on and it pumps cold water around the stainless coil which cools the beer. The opposite applies when it gets too cold.
IMAG0055.jpg
IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

The maxi beer cooler also chills your serving temp to whatever you prefer. Its an expensive route to take but worth it as you could brew any time of year without worrying what the temp is like

Craven Brewer said:
Quality fridge and set-up, bobsbeer.

Would be interesting to see the tap arrangement on the outside of the door!

These ones?

IMG_1597.jpg

two ikea stainless 6" bowls and stainless chain from ebay, taps from Norm, yoke made using high ampage cable I had lying around

Latest posts

Back