Temperature Disaster

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopperty

Reaction score
John Bull India Pale Ale Kit. About 4 days into the brew it had stopped self heating (1046 -> 1012) so I plugged the heater belt in, stupidly I plugged it into the extension lead not the thermostat. The next morning its 63°C LOL.... These 25w heater belts are surprisingly powerful!

It tastes decidedly awful - is the best think to flush it straight down the bog, or would it be good plant food ?

John Bull India Pale Ale Kit. About 4 days into the brew it had stopped self heating (1046 -> 1012) so I plugged the heater belt in, stupidly I plugged it into the extension lead not the thermostat. The next morning its 63°C LOL.... These 25w heater belts are surprisingly powerful!

It tastes decidedly awful - is the best think to flush it straight down the bog, or would it be good plant food ?
It is good for plant food (sugar) you have killed the yeast, did you wrap the heater belt around the fermenter?

Mate, we live and learn. The other day I decided to see how cold my fridge (fermentation chamber) would go so turned it up to 6 and 24 hrs later it was -10! Froze 2 minikegs of pale ale which I thought I’d leave in there to chill!

Oh my God how on earth did u manage to get it to that temperature?? Did the fv start to melt? 😂😂
No, FV seems ok, I guess it is designed for boiling water and the heat from the belt must travel well through the plasic (I doubt it would last long with no liquid inside.

Anyway, I got anotther brew going today, and I will be extra careful to plug the heater into the right socket next time. This was my first complete loss in 41 brews (1700 bottles) , so I guess something had to go wrong at some time.

xBD-3527.jpg

the heater goes into the BLUE socket not the ORANGE one

Mate, we live and learn. The other day I decided to see how cold my fridge (fermentation chamber) would go so turned it up to 6 and 24 hrs later it was -10! Froze 2 minikegs of pale ale which I thought I’d leave in there to chill!
These will be fine. Make sure you defrost completely before drinking otherwise you will just be drinking the alcohol!

As a curious sort, I would be tempted to leave it to cool down and pitch some more yeast and see what happens.
It may be awful, but experimentation is actually all science comes down to. And if brewing is not practical science, then what else is it?
All you lose, in a sense, is time and there is plenty of that.

Latest posts

Back