Maintaining fermentation temperature: belt/heater

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drf

Reaction score
Well, with a house move I'll probably have to brew in the corner of the kitchen where it's likely to get a bit chilly at night. So economic suggestions for maintaining fermentation temperature?

Sleeping bag and wrapping it up of course, but I think I'd like a way to get some heat in if required.

Brew belts any good? I assume they don't have a thermostat?

I've seen mention of the use of aquarium heaters. I assume glass rather than metal would be a better idea, what about the cables - any worry of them being non-food-grade? Are the heaters self-contained (i.e. just plug 'em in and they do the job, or is a separate thermostat required as well?).

Any other pointers?

TIA

Chris

I used to use an aquarium heater with no problems. They're completely self contained. Some brands have better thermostats than others though, but it'll be a case of trial and error to find a decent one.

No worries about sanitising them then? I assume a rinse with videne or equivalent will do the job. And a hole in the FV lid of course! Hopefully airtight as I rather like the sound of the bubbling of the airlock!

Aye, just clean and sanitise as you would anything else.

I used a plastic cable gland in the lid of the FV to get the cable through and position the heater, and seal it if you so want.

Belts don't have thermostats and can get a bit too warm, although there was a thread somewhere about hooking a belt up to a dimmer switch. I don't know what temperature the trays reach.

With aquarium heaters, if it's beer I suppose the heater needs to be suspended in the bucket. I use them for wines but in a bucket or deep tray to form water baths.
PB10030803.jpg

PB10030804.jpg

I use a heatbelt that is controlled with the TC10 pid. Just stick the fermenter in the garage, put on the heatbelt, set your favoured temp and wrap in a sleeping back.

It does the job for me. :thumb:

Back