The 10 best summer beers.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choose your favourite.

• Thornbridge Chiron American Pale Ale (£2.45, 50cl, waitrose.com)

• Brewdog Punk IPA (£1.75, 30cl, sainsburys.co.uk)

• Goose Island IPA (from £1.75, 35.5cl, tesco.com, sainsburys.co.uk)

• Purity UBU (£1.99, 50cl, waitrose.com)

• Battersea Rye (£1.95, 33cl, marksandspencer.com)

• Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout (from £3.59, 35.5cl, beersofeurope.co.uk; realale.com)

• Brew by Numbers Saison 01/06 (£2.95, 33cl, realale.com)

• Meantime Yakima Red (£1.79, 33cl, waitrose.com)

• Harviestoun Schiehallion Craft Brewed Lager (£1.79, 33cl, waitrose.com)

• Crouch Vale Brewers Gold (£1.99, 50cl, tesco.com)

Results are only viewable after voting.
No Jaipur has already upset me, but is your favourite in there?
I imagine with the choice now out there the answer is going to be no from the majority.

Out of interest I have added a poll, if your favourite is not listed could you pick your favourite from the list in the poll. :thumb:

Edit to add -

Already two members have said their favourite is not on the list, i imagine every member that reads this will have at least one beer they think should be in the list, i just wondered what members thought of the ones listed hence the poll.

Chocolate stout as a summer ale? Tough to pick a favourite overall as there are so many beers I have yet to try or have probably forgotten! From that list I have only had 3 of the beers but Goose Island is my favourite of the 3. Non listed beers I have enjoyed drinking so far this summer (that may or may not be particularly summery!)
Adnams Ghost Ship
Adnams Crystal Rye IPA
Marstons Revisionist Rye Pale Ale
Brewdog 5AM Red
Morland Old Golden Hen
Fullers Honey Dew Organic
Marstons New World Pale Ale
Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold
Marstons EPA
St Austell Tribute
Iron Maiden Trooper
Thats 11 but who cares!

I imagine every member that reads this will have at least one beer they think should be in the list, i just wondered what members thought of the ones listed hence the poll.

Yes, you're quite right!
I've only tried two, Brewdogs and Goose Island. Out of them I'd say Goose Island.

I havn't tried any on this list, but the brewdog 'this is lager' sold in weatherspoons is a fantastic summer brew IMO.

A list of ten beers will always leave out many beers that are excellent and this is just one person's list, and he has only chosen beers that are available to everyone, via supermarkets and online retailers.

Possibly heresy but I do like a good cider when it's very hot.

Beer-wise it's obviously not fashionable craft beer but badgers golden glory (the peachy tasting one, I might have it mixed up with golden champion) is great.

I've actually had all the ones on the list apart from the Crouch Vale Brewer's Gold. It's not a bad list to be fair but with the millions of decent beers we can now get our hands on, our favourites are always going to be missing.

But if an article in the paper can encourage drinkers to go and seek out some different and unsual beers then it gets my vote anyway.

:cheers:

I havn't tried any on this list, but the brewdog 'this is lager' sold in weatherspoons is a fantastic summer brew IMO.

Tried one of those the other week and have to say I wasn't that impressed, like everything it's all subjective I suppose.

Not sure where you are based but up here in Scotland we have a Glasgow based brewery called WEST who do an outstanding lager called St Mungo's which you can also get from Wetherspoons. Think Tesco do the bottled stuff but for some reason it is nowhere near as nice as the draught.

Based in Hull so spoons only has the usual lagers on draught(Carling, fosters, calsberg). I'll keep an eye out for the Mungo's though.

A list of ten beers will always leave out many beers that are excellent and this is just one person's list, and he has only chosen beers that are available to everyone, via supermarkets and online retailers.

Think I live on a different planet to everyone else. never heard of any of the beers listed. Nor do I understand the concept of seasonal beers. Beer is beer, right? Only concession made for summer is to put a few ice cubes in whatever beer I happen to be drinking.:cheers:

In summer I absolutely love a cold Oakham Citra. I'm also partial to a pint of this new Fuller's Oliver's Island (essentially just Discovery re-branded) because at 3.8% I can have a few in the sunshine and not feel completely ******.

Think I live on a different planet to everyone else. never heard of any of the beers listed. Nor do I understand the concept of seasonal beers. Beer is beer, right? Only concession made for summer is to put a few ice cubes in whatever beer I happen to be drinking.:cheers:

Ice cubes? :D

Latest posts

Back