The Barge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They have been discussing it on 5 live and apparently some of these people who came here by boat illegally are refusing to go on it because they are scared of water, it's costing us £6 million a day to house them in hotels we cannot carry on paying to house them in hotels.

The processing of asylum seekers is clearly very inefficient. They need to fix that and get more people processing asylum seekers. I'm sure this isn't difficult, it just needs some resources throwing at it. But given how inefficient the government is at pretty much anything and how they like to chuck money at their mates rather than where it should be going, I suspect this whole barge lark is another distraction like Rwanda was.

It does make you wonder how this backlog has become so big and how they managed to hide it for so long it's been no secret how many boats have been coming here and for how long.

I believe they are and also that the biggest majority by a county mile are young men.

Probably makes sense for those seeking asylum. It's dangerous and risky trip. The women are subjected to rape, abuse, exploitation. If these men have families, then I'd hazard a guess that they're looking to protect their families until they're established in a country that accepts their asylum application.

Asylum seekers refusing to board the controversial Bibby Stockholm barge are being threatened with having rights to government support withdrawn.
The first group of 15 people boarded the vessel on Monday, but 20 refused.
If they do not move on to the accommodation barge by the end of Tuesday, their housing assistance could be withdrawn, government sources said.
Justice Secretary Alex Chalk said the threat to withdraw state-funded support was "unlikely" to be illegal.
He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "That is something that the courts would have to consider but I think it's unlikely, bluntly, that it would be illegal to do so but all cases are considered on their facts.
"What is perfectly legal is for the British people to say this is what we are offering and it's not four-star accommodation but it is perfectly safe, it's perfectly decent and it complies with the fire safety checks and goodness knows what.
"It is sparse and it is a bit austere but, frankly, that is not unreasonable."
Monday saw the first asylum seekers board the Bibby Stockholm - moored in Portland Port in Dorset - after a series of delays over safety concerns.
It is the flagship of the government's latest plan to "stop the boats" and deter dangerous Channel crossings by migrants and up to 500 men aged 18-65 will eventually live on the vessel while they await the outcome of asylum applications.
Some human rights groups have called the scheme "inhumane", but ministers insist it is safe and will save money.
One migrant who boarded the vessel on Monday told the BBC he had arrived in the UK on an aircraft, had a wife still in Iran and had been in Britain for six months.
The man - who the BBC is not identifying - gave no reply to the question of whether he was scared aboard the barge, but when asked said he had eaten a "good" breakfast aboard including "eggs, cheese, jam and butter".

1691511063170.png
1691511085510.png

Cheryl Avery, Director for Asylum Accommodation at the Home Office, said some 15 people had boarded the barge on Monday, but a group of about 20 people had refused to board.
"There have been some challenges - some minor legal challenges - and I can't go into the detail of those, but accommodation is offered to individuals on a no-choice basis," she said.
Sky News quoted a letter to one of the group of 20 as saying that if they failed to travel to Portland on Tuesday "arrangements for ceasing the support that you are receiving from the Home Office may commence".
"Where asylum seekers fail to take up an offer of suitable accommodation without a reasonable explanation, there should be no expectation that alternative accommodation will be offered," the letter added.
Heather Jones of the Portland Global Friendship Group, set up to provide support for those moved to the barge, said she had been in touch with eight asylum seekers who did not want to leave their Bournemouth hotel.
"They were worried about moving - they have a community in Bournemouth that supports and looks out for them and they have friends. To be moved again would have been so unsettling," she said.
The Care4Calais charity said it was providing legal support to 20 asylum seekers wanting to challenge being moved to Portland.
"Housing people fleeing threats and persecution on an overcrowded barge is appalling, and in itself likely to cause extreme distress.
"These are people who have endured horrific and often life-threatening journeys; being trapped in small, cell-like rooms behind the high metal fences will induce fear, anxiety and panic," it said.
The 222-room, three-storey barge arrived in Portland Port more than three weeks ago, chartered by the government to reduce what it says is the £6m-a-day cost of placing asylum seekers in hotels.
Ministers plan to increase the numbers aboard up to 500, despite safety warnings from the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) which has raised concerns over narrow exits and possible overcrowding.
It includes catering, a TV room, a multi-faith prayer room and a gym.
Migrants will be free to leave on hourly buses to Weymouth and Portland, although they are encouraged to return by 23:00 each night.
The Home Office has said the barge occupants will undergo security screening and Dorset Police has said it does not expect any impact on the local community.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-66438086

Personally, from a point of view of due diligence, I’d like to see Cruella Bravermann be forced to spend a bit of time on the barge and then in Rwanda so she can be certain of the stance she’s taken on managing this particular group of disadvantaged individuals.
A couple of months in each seems just about right.

Personally, from a point of view of due diligence, I’d like to see Cruella Bravermann be forced to spend a bit of time on the barge and then in Rwanda so she can be certain of the stance she’s taken on managing this particular group of disadvantaged individuals.
A couple of months in each seems just about right.

That would be marvellous, perhaps put Johnson in their too.

Delving into family history one of my relatives spent time on one of the prison hulks that were stationed round the British Isles...he survived and started a bakery and did ok.
Sounds quite historical a "prisoner" barge...

I can't see how the conditions are any worse than boarding school or old fashioned student halls.
And with communal catering I'm sure a fair number of MPs of all flavours would feel at home there.

I went to boarding school and wouldn't wish it on anyone! 😂

I might be missing something but I can’t quite understand why these people make such a dangerous trip and risk their lives crossing the channel in tiny overcrowded boats. They were in France! Isn’t that safe enough?

This is what grinds my gears also.

I think this law needs changing unless there is a very good reason for an asylum seeker to want to go to a specific country they should stay in the first safe one they reach.

There is no legal duty or obligation on the asylum seeker to claim and remain in the first safe country and an asylum seeker who moves on is not breaking the law by doing so or disqualifying themselves from refugee status.

Back