The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
South Lakeland DC
@SouthLakelandDC

·
An Emergency Support Helpline is available for vulnerable or isolated people at high risk of becoming seriously ill from #COVID19 and don't have help. The service also accepts public referrals. Details here: http://ow.ly/uJRB50zfTmH

1587302202493.png

No one will disagree they ****** up but what is the point in keeping bringing that up its not going to change anything as it isn't in all the other countries that didn't stockpile PPE, its what they do now that is important and how they handle bringing lock down to an end.

It's true that it's important that what the do now is important (like closing the bleedin' airports) but it's also important they're held to account for the cock ups that they've made that have cost people their lives

Thats exactly what I've read. Companies taking the 80% staff costs not paying the other 20% and then hunkering down to ride things out
And you can't blame them but you also can't blame the government if we aren't sure they haven't contacted these companies. A lot of these companies wouldn't be able to produce what is being asked at the right cost.

In the mirror today a company (i wont name them) has taken out a full page advert for face masks and hand gel i hope people boycott them for making money out of this disaster.

It's true that it's important that what the do now is important (like closing the bleedin' airports) but it's also important they're held to account for the cock ups that they've made that have cost people their lives

This is exactly right. My colleagues on the front line are putting their lives at risk and some have died doing so. Having to wash PPE because there is not enough stock is a national disgrace. The least they could expect is to be able to do their job as safely as we could make it.

It's not about kicking people for their mistakes it's about holding them to account. Exercise Cygnus seems to have predicted most of these issues, yet it was ignored.

Anyway, I'm off to cook dinner for the wife and listen again to how bloody terrified she is of going to work tomorrow as ITU has run out of gowns and are now using two aprons, one worn back to front and some builders overalls that have been donated to keep them safe.

Some good news -

A plane carrying new equipment for the NHS - including 10 million face masks - has landed in Scotland from China.

Infusion pumps for intensive care units and laboratory kits are also listed among the cargo items, which have arrived at Prestwick Airport.

It comes amid concern from NHS staff and care home operators about the availability of protective equipment.

The Scottish government said it was working to ensure staff got the right personal protective equipment (PPE).

To date there have been 893 coronavirus-related deaths in Scottish hospitals

The charter flight landed at Prestwick on Saturday morning.

Trade and Investment Minister, Ivan McKee, said Scotland's health and social care system was facing unprecedented demand.

'Painstaking collective effort'

He said protecting staff working on the frontline was an "absolute priority", which government had been "working at pace with the NHS and manufacturers to improve and increase the supply of PPE.

He added: "This charter flight, carrying additional equipment ordered by the Scottish government, is significant and we will be focusing the distribution of these supplies to health and social care settings over the coming days."

Jim Miller, director of procurement, commissioning and facilities at NHS National Services Scotland (NSS), said: "This delivery is the result of a painstaking collective effort involving multiple partners working together to provide our NHS and social care colleagues with the PPE they need to keep them safe."

And you can't blame them but you also can't blame the government if we aren't sure they haven't contacted these companies. A lot of these companies wouldn't be able to produce what is being asked at the right cost.

No you cant blame the goverment. They've don they're bit it's up to the company to claim the 80% of wages and pay the other 20% themselves

Offical numbers according to John Hopkins COVID-19 dashboard is that only have 436 recovered patients in the UK and that must mean that there are 104k ongoing cases. Something doesn't feel right about the recovered number to me.

Attachments

• covid19 - 19 April 2020.JPG
    covid19 - 19 April 2020.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 45
Offical numbers according to John Hopkins COVID-19 dashboard is that only have 436 recovered patients in the UK and that must mean that there are 104k ongoing cases. Something doesn't feel right about the recovered number to me.
I suspect that after someone tests positive has symptoms then gets better they have only tested 436 to check they are not still positive therefore everyone else who got better has not officially recovered.

So we didn't stockpile PPE such as single use gowns. Just a thought - as my wife is a domiciliary care worker and I'm familiar with the flimsy protective aprons she uses. What is the life expectancy of such things? Are they like supermarket single use carrier bags that basically disintegrate after about 6 months?

One of the largest mask manufacturers is 3M - an american owned company, which is based in China. The Chinese Government virtually banned exports of PPE overnight when this started - so guess where all the stock is?

Nice of them to sell us some.

Can you give us the short version its like he is getting paid by the minute and is dragging it on as long as he can.

Fingers crossed this works -

The UK is gearing up to use the blood of coronavirus survivors to treat hospital patients ill with the disease.

NHS Blood and Transplant is asking some people who recovered from Covid-19 to donate blood so they can potentially assess the therapy in trials.

The hope is that the antibodies they have built up will help to clear the virus in others.

The US has already started a major project to study this, involving more than 1,500 hospitals.

When a person has Covid-19, their immune system responds by creating antibodies, which attack the virus.

Over time these build up and can be found in the plasma, the liquid portion of the blood.

NHSBT is now approaching patients who have recovered from Covid-19 to see if plasma from them can be given to people who are currently ill with the virus.

A statement from the organisation said: "We envisage that this will be initially used in trials as a possible treatment for Covid-19.

"If fully approved, the trials will investigate whether convalescent plasma transfusions could improve a Covid-19 patient's speed of recovery and chances of survival.

"All clinical trials have to follow a rigorous approval process to protect patients and to ensure robust results are generated. We are working closely with the government and all relevant bodies to move through the approvals process as quickly as possible.

Full article - Coronavirus blood treatment to be tried

Fingers crossed this works -

The UK is gearing up to use the blood of coronavirus survivors to treat hospital patients ill with the disease.

NHS Blood and Transplant is asking some people who recovered from Covid-19 to donate blood so they can potentially assess the therapy in trials.

The hope is that the antibodies they have built up will help to clear the virus in others.

The US has already started a major project to study this, involving more than 1,500 hospitals.

When a person has Covid-19, their immune system responds by creating antibodies, which attack the virus.

Over time these build up and can be found in the plasma, the liquid portion of the blood.

NHSBT is now approaching patients who have recovered from Covid-19 to see if plasma from them can be given to people who are currently ill with the virus.

A statement from the organisation said: "We envisage that this will be initially used in trials as a possible treatment for Covid-19.

"If fully approved, the trials will investigate whether convalescent plasma transfusions could improve a Covid-19 patient's speed of recovery and chances of survival.

"All clinical trials have to follow a rigorous approval process to protect patients and to ensure robust results are generated. We are working closely with the government and all relevant bodies to move through the approvals process as quickly as possible.

Full article - Coronavirus blood treatment to be tried
I am sure I have read that they are starting this in Wales.

Latest posts

Back