The downfall of the Tory party.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this could backfire, they are expecting the wealthy to invest the money they are saving from the tax. But who is going to invest in the UK the way the economy is going? You would have to be either mad, or both. They would have been better off giving a bigger tax break to the proletariat, at least they will spend it.

I don’t pretend to know the ins and outs in terms of the thinking behind all this, but Mr Kwarteng seems confident!

He holds a PhD in economic history, so I’m guessing he knows what doesn’t work 🤷‍♂️

A39E81F7-BC0A-499E-AE82-A8FBEF8F1D1C.jpeg

Just to point out that none of the tax changes apply in Scotland.... I've not decided yet if that's a good or not so good thing :confused: .

I was in the town centre today, and there was a homeless lad and his dog in a shop doorway.

Knowing that the weather is changing, I decided to help him out.

I jumped in the car, and drove to the most affluent part of town, and posted £20 through the first letter box I saw.

I’m confident that the lad will get it, when it trickles down to him.

Mike Berners-Lee
@MikeBernersLee
I would love to avoid getting party political. But this is so obscene and immoral that it would be wrong to hold back.
Please do not ever vote for anyone in any party who even stayed quiet about the awfulness of these tax cuts for the rich at this time

Kwasi Kwarteng defends massive tax cuts as fair for all​

Kwasi Kwarteng has said massive tax cuts aimed at boosting economic growth are fair for all despite the highest earners gaining the most.
The chancellor scrapped the top rate of income tax as part of the biggest package of tax cuts in 50 years.
Labour and some Tory MPs have said it was wrong to cut taxes for the wealthy during a cost-of-living crisis.
But Mr Kwarteng said he was "being fair" by reducing taxes right across the income bracket.
The package of measures, which has been dubbed a mini-budget, will be paid for by a sharp rise in government borrowing amounting to tens of billions of pounds.
Paul Johnson, director of the independent Institute for Fiscal Studies, said the plans were a "big gamble", with money being pumped into the economy when inflation remains high.
There was an immediate reaction in financial markets, as the pound sunk and UK stocks fell.

In an interview with BBC News political editor Chris Mason, the chancellor said: "I don't think it's a gamble at all.
"What was a gamble, in my view, was sticking to the course we are on."
Mr Kwarteng insisted not cutting taxes and continuing to follow the path of the previous government - led by former Prime Minister Boris Johnson - was more risky.
"So what we had to do was have a reboot, a rethink," Mr Kwarteng said.
He said his mini-budget was not an admission of failure, as Labour suggested in response to his statement, and a recession forecasted by the Bank of England was "not inevitable"
But, he said, "we also recognise we could do things better".
He said his moves to reduce income tax, scrap a planned rise in National Insurance and support households with energy bills would "help the most vulnerable people in society get through a difficult time".
Asked whether the UK economy was now in recession, Mr Kwarteng said that while, "technically, the Bank of England said that there was a recession", he thought it "would be shallow" and he hoped "we would rebound and grow".
When pressed, the chancellor said he did not acknowledge that the UK was in recession and that one was not inevitable.
The Institute of Fiscal Studies said the richest 10% of households would gain the most from Mr Kwarteng's measures, which undo the tax rises introduced by former chancellor Rishi Sunak, who left office in July.

Full article - Kwasi Kwarteng defends massive tax cuts as fair for all

1664046706193.png

Sir Michael Take CBE
@MichaelTakeMP

He brought a smile to everyone’s face at the #queensfuneral.
He brings a smile to Liz Truss’s face when he comes in her office.
Now he has brought a smile to us all with this #MiniBudget! Kwasi Kwarteng is ‘Special K’ our trickle down superhero.
I just can’t wait for winter!

Capghghgture.JPG

I honestly don't know what to make of it, I really feel so sorry for the people who will suffer this winter this thing has not kicked in proper yet i also fear civil unrest on our streets i hope it doesn't but i think it will
I hope it does. The fundamental difference between the the French government and British government is that while the latter have nothing but contempt for the people, the French have a respect which is based in fear of the people. That fear is justified as the people WILL take to the streets and tear their houses down when they're not happy, we saw that during the gilets jaunes activities when there was very little, in fact, to complain about by British standards.

Again, in France, the people vote for their president and delegates and they are the people's government. In the UK party members vote for the leader and the people vote for the MPs, but it remains His Majesty's government, not ours. They are responsible to the monarch, not the people, and the King's hands are tied by convention so the government is, in fact, responsible to no one.
I can't see any way of changing this apart from civil unrest.

Last edited:
They borrow to protect energy companies profits. Any money made will probably end up in the Cayman Islands anyway.

I don’t pretend to know the ins and outs in terms of the thinking behind all this, but Mr Kwarteng seems confident!

He holds a PhD in economic history, so I’m guessing he knows what doesn’t work 🤷‍♂️
Probably knows quite a bit about get rich quick schemes then.

Back