The downfall of the Tory party.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you pay more tax than you are legally bound to? I certainly don't, and I don't expect anyone else would want to, corporations or individuals.
Nobody has a duty, legally or morally, to pay more tax than that which is due. The responsibility lies with the government to ensure that everyone is taxed fairly, that taxes are properly collected and that loopholes are closed ia quickly as they are identified. Quite simple really, but not if said government and all their mates have got their snouts in the trough.

Exactly my point.
And yes I do. You may call me a fool for doing so. I call it a conscience.
My experience is that overpayment results in a refund with interest paid. There's a difference, though, between paying what is due and only paying what you can get away with. Did you mean the former?

Well it is hardly the fault of corporations paying minimal tax which are in the guide lines set out by the tax office. Kerry Packer nailed it.

Which is why we need a better government. Clearly!

My experience is that overpayment results in a refund with interest paid. There's a difference, though, between paying what is due and only paying what you can get away with. Did you mean the former?
Absolutely the former.
In my mind, there are 3 tiers:
1. Paying what you choose and think can get away with. ie, tax evasion, which is illegal.
2. Arranging your finances and using loopholes deliberately to avoid paying/reducing tax. ie, tax avoidance, which is legal but generally immoral IMO
3. Living your life normally and paying tax based on what is due. Legal, and moral.

I live firmly in tier 3.

Absolutely the former.
1. Paying what you choose and think can get away with. ie, tax evasion, which is illegal.
2. Arranging your finances and using loopholes deliberately to avoid paying/reducing tax. ie, tax avoidance, which is legal but generally immoral IMO
3. Living your life normally and paying tax based on what is due. Legal, and moral.

I live firmly in tier 3.

So why are you paying more than necessary? That has to be a first surely.

Absolutely the former.

I live firmly in tier 3.
Me too. Anything else is cheating your neighbour, not the "taxman". If the system were more obviously fair and open, I'm sure many more people would think as you do!

Nobody has a duty, legally or morally, to pay more tax than that which is due. The responsibility lies with the government to ensure that everyone is taxed fairly, that taxes are properly collected and that loopholes are closed ia quickly as they are identified. Quite simple really, but not if said government and all their mates have got their snouts in the trough.
It's also the responsibility of the government to reduce the tax burden and the less tax collected the less in the trough.
What are these famous loopholes that businesses use?

It's also the responsibility of the government to reduce the tax burden and the less tax collected the less in the trough.
Not necessarily. The first responsibility is the wellbeing of all its citizens. Some of the the "happiest" countries have a high tax regime. But that's not the point. The trough in the UK is kept nicely topped up, thank you, through "austerity" and cutbacks. Look back at the PPI frauds of the last few years (which are not being investigated or prosecuted) for examples of how our money is misused and creamed of to fill the pockets of Tory mates and cronies.
Non dom taxation scams might be starting point for you to start looking at loopholes. Failure to impose VAT on luxury services like private education is a scam in its own right. No wonder people feel like Rod, above. The government are taking the p!ss and that rankles with everyone. Well, you voted for them in you put up with them. So suck it up or do something about it.

TBF unless you are a massive business, super rich, a tax accountant to the super rich, or work in an avoidance or policy team at HMRC, you won’t really be particularly knowledgeable about tax avoidance schemes. The whole point in them is to find loopholes in the legislation and exploit them so people usually only find out about them when the proverbial hits the fan or when the media finds out that a celebrity is using one.

The most famous one in recent years was the K2 scheme (albeit it was a personal tax avoidance scheme rather than corporation). I actually worked for a firm that sold it (one of many reasons I decided to leave accounting practice). I joined the firm in 2010 and it didn’t become public knowledge until 2012 when Jimmy Carr and Barry Garlow were all over the papers for using it, and it was at that point that HMRC cracked down on it.

There was also the ill-fated Employee Benefit Trusts (EBTs) that were eventually the downfall of the original Rangers FC and triggered HMRC enquiries at several football clubs, including Newcastle and Portsmouth.

Not necessarily. The first responsibility is the wellbeing of all its citizens. Some of the the "happiest" countries have a high tax regime. But that's not the point. The trough in the UK is kept nicely topped up, thank you, through "austerity" and cutbacks. Look back at the PPI frauds of the last few years (which are not being investigated or prosecuted) for examples of how our money is misused and creamed of to fill the pockets of Tory mates and cronies.
Non dom taxation scams might be starting point for you to start looking at loopholes. Failure to impose VAT on luxury services like private education is a scam in its own right. No wonder people feel like Rod, above. The government are taking the p!ss and that rankles with everyone. Well, you voted for them in you put up with them. So suck it up or do something about it.
Nawaz, Hodge. It isn't just the Tory party enjoying the trough. If I was a voter in the UK I would be taking a very close look at Burnham. If anyone is lining his pockets it is him>

I'm not sure that a mechanism exists for paying more. If an inspection discovers an overpayment, it will be refunded with interest. And the contrary for underpayments. UK's hacienda is very even-handed in my experience.
Just going on the replies made, paid more tax than need be but didn't receive any tax back plus interest?

Nawaz, Hodge. It isn't just the Tory party enjoying the trough. If I was a voter in the UK I would be taking a very close look at Burnham. If anyone is lining his pockets it is him>
Interesting. Yes I shall, although I pay my tax in the country where I earn my dosh.
Certainly human stupidity and human greed are the two greatest forces in the universe and they're not circumscribed by political party, unfortunately, even if they do tend to naturally gravitate towards the Tories.

Hang on Foxy, don't go slagging Andy off he did wonders for our town when he was mp here, he is a decent bloke who like the rest of us sometimes gets blinded by the light
I remember reading about a derelict building in Manchester where the homeless used to doss. Burnham got the police to move them on so a company could move in and renovate the building into luxury apartments. Did money change hands? Who knows. Politicians don't get rich by doing the right thing.,

Doesn't matter which government is in power, they will not overtax large businesses or corporations for fear they will up stumps and go elsewhere.
It's under taxing them that is the problem. The UK is a big market for these corporations, they won't just up sticks and leave. "Sorry Amazon, you're going to have to start paying a normal level of tax." "Right, were off then!" Not gonna happen is it?

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...o-more-years-thanks-to-rishi-sunaks-tax-break

Latest posts

Back