The downfall of the Tory party.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am fond of the saying, 'Be careful what you wish for' What will the Labour Party bring to the table that is going to be any different? Promises are generally broken because of a lack of funds, is it realistic to think that a change of government is going to turn that around?
As for leaders, there is a dire shortage of political leaders in the Western world.

Its a bribe to get votes.

Phil Oakey of the Human league sang on Austerity/Girl one on the reproduction album.......

"When the best of men take bribes isn't it the fool that doesn't?!

So in that vein I suppose the question is , Is a bribe worth taking or a P155 poor bribe that insults our intelligence?

a.k.a - how much is a vote worth? - yet the bribe is paid for by the public anyways 🤔

Last edited:
What will the Labour Party bring to the table that is going to be any differen

Obviously no one knows for sure but what we do know is this lot have had 14 years in power and the country is ****** it's time for change.

Labour has inflicted two by-election defeats on the Conservatives, overturning big majorities to take Wellingborough and Kingswood.
In Wellingborough the party overcame a majority of more than 18,500 to take the Northamptonshire seat.
The swing of 28.5% was the second biggest from the Tories to Labour in any post-war by-election.
In Kingswood, where the Tories previously had a majority of more than 11,000, there was a swing of 16.4%
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said the results showed "people want change and are ready to put their faith in a changed Labour Party to deliver it".
It means the Tories have suffered 10 by-election losses this Parliament - more than any previous government since the 1960s.
With a general election due this year, the latest defeats are a major blow for Mr Sunak, whose party is trailing Labour in national polls.
Full article
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68313421

The country is so polarised at the mo, not sure how this changes. I'm wondering if it's a result of how poorly the country is working at the moment, or something more ingrained. It certainly isn't helpful when our elected politicians lie so much, I only saw this morning a Conservative post on twitter regarding Sadiq Khan which was a blatant lie and outed as such. But we do need to get to a position where we can disagree with each other without frothing at the mouth.

Labour will get my vote but i'm not sure what they can do, the country finances are in a parlous situation, not helped by (yes) Brexit. But at this point it's anyone but the Tories, they have been around too long, are out of ideas and need to step back, regroup hopefully become more centrist and electable and come back in 8 years or so. I'm not a Tory but it's healthy to have a relatively strong opposition in my opinion.

Anyway, thats PilgrimHudds morning muse.

I actually feel that Sunak is our most competent Conservative PM in years, but he’s been handed a turd (austerity + Brexit, topped off with war in Eastern Europe is not a recipe for growth), but also the Conservative party is so at war with itself he's not going to be able to make the big policy changes to fix anything.

I'm hopeful that a Labour landslide would allow for the major changes to happen to start getting things moving again, and a time out of government might help the Conservative party get itself back together again.

I actually feel that Sunak is our most competent Conservative PM in years, but he’s been handed a turd (austerity + Brexit, topped off with war in Eastern Europe is not a recipe for growth), but also the Conservative party is so at war with itself he's not going to be able to make the big policy changes to fix anything.

I'm hopeful that a Labour landslide would allow for the major changes to happen to start getting things moving again, and a time out of government might help the Conservative party get itself back together again.

He's definitely the best since May. 😂

I cringe when he does his walkabouts and tries to be one of the 'people' though, he's really bad at it. The rest i'd agree with though.

I would love to see Rees-Mogg out on his ear, i'm just hoping the good people of North East Somerset pull through.

He'd be a decent Chief Secretary to the Treasury, but he's no leader. And he's truly terrible at politics - or anything that needs human interaction. Partly it's not his fault, he just doesn't come from a background that allows him to have any empathy with the ordinary voter.

And part of his problem is that his exposure to the US makes him think he's a president not a parliamentary leader, so he thinks he has the executive power to do things without reference to Parliament. For all the Tory talk of restoring sovereignty from Brussels to Parliament, they seem increasingly to ignore Parliament, or lie to it, and that makes for bad governance.

He'd be a decent Chief Secretary to the Treasury, but he's no leader. And he's truly terrible at politics - or anything that needs human interaction. Partly it's not his fault, he just doesn't come from a background that allows him to have any empathy with the ordinary voter.

What do people think about Starmer in comparison?

Personally I don't really care whether someone is a good politician. There are far too many professional politicians that have had zero exposure to anything outside of Westminster. I just want someone that is competent.

It's another reason why I'm quite hopeful for Labour. Starmer might be boring, but he got to the top of his profession before switching to politics and has displayed a ruthless streak to get the party in a position to win power.

Personally I don't really care whether someone is a good politician. There are far too many professional politicians that have had zero exposure to anything outside of Westminster. I just want someone that is competent.

It's another reason why I'm quite hopeful for Labour. Starmer might be boring, but he got to the top of his profession before switching to politics and has displayed a ruthless streak to get the party in a position to win power.
His stance on Israel is worrying

What do i think of Starmer not much in the way of a leader, now if he had gone straight for the juggler and routed the ultra left loons of the party he would have gotten my vote,

I think Starmer has done very well in rooting out the loons, and turning them into a party that will probably win the next election. His problems aren't really his fault, he's not as charismatic or well liked as Blair was in 97. He is also going to inherit a country in a terrible state unlike in 97, because like it or not the tories had done a pretty good job in turning things around post recession.

In his conference speech he kept reminding us he was from a working class background and understands how hard it is for families on low wages to survive etc, lets hope he still remembers when he is out PM later this year.

Sir Keir Starmer Shares His Vision for Britain’s Future Ahead of General Election | This Morning (3 weeks ago)

The trouble is that Sunak's so useless at the politics side that it affects his ability to be "competent" in delivering policy. I'm not sure whether he is just really stupid on this stuff and has this simplistic idea of you put a policy into the algorithm and out pops popularity, or he has enough self-knowledge to know that he should leave the politics to someone else, but unfortunately those advisors are the ones that are really dumb. I assume the latter but I do wonder sometimes, things like the cancellation of HS2 without reference to Parliament do suggest presidential tendencies.

He should stick to his strengths, such as they are, which is on the financial side. It was good politics to make a target of "cutting inflation in half" or whatever it was, as that was going to happen anyway thanks to European investment in LNG terminals etc. But it's really dumb to keep banging on about immigration. It's a difficult if not intractable problem, that is easy for those who are not in power to pretend that they have all the solutions. So by constantly highlighting how badly things are going for them on that front, they're just acting as the best recruiters for Reform. Meanwhile they're not thinking about the things that are most important to voters in the centre (who count double as attracting them means taking them away from Labour/LD MPs) which are the NHS and the cost of living. It's just weird - Sunak has been given a poor hand but for a supposedly smart guy he's not been playing it well. And the decline in the polls tell their own story.

Completely agree - one of the few bright spots on the horizon at the moment is that the likely PM has been successful before coming into politics, and got to the top in a profession full of smart, competent people which suggests he is one too. Yes, it would be really nice if he didn't come across as so ... plodding, for want of a better word, but I guess you can't have it all. I'd rather have a quietly effective Roy Keane than a showpony like David Beckham who often doesn't rise to the occasion. I can imagine that he's used to being underestimated and used that to his advantage as a prosecutor, I wouldn't like to face him in the dock.

On the flip side I don't think people realise quite how bad things are, or how financially constrained the next government is going to be, it's not like with Blair coming in at a time of record oil production from the North Sea. But just some stability and an end to the Tory internal dramas would be a good start - in the 9 years since Jurgen Klopp joined Liverpool (and under that stability they've won every trophy at least once), many of our most important government departments have had up to 9 ministers in charge, and there's been 5 PMs. It's impossible to get much done when there's that much chaos at the top.

Blair also massively benefitted from the loosening of rules around lending. It meant capital became cheap, unlocking investment and growth.

You’re right that there’s no such windfalls available now. Any quick fixes just make the problems worse.

Fixing where we are now requires some fundamental changes and years for those changes to filter through.

Latest posts

Back