The old kit finally sees daylight

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve.

Reaction score
Having got a couple of brews under my belt I decided it was time to test the pre 1992 Boots kit. The can was under a little pressure and gave out a nice wet fart sound when open. Not sure what the original colour should have been but this was a dark tar colour. Followed recipe as best I could, as I don't have a large enough brew pan. Added new pack of Gervin English GV12 yeast. I'll update as things progress

Attachments

• beer1.jpg
    beer1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 3
  • beer2.jpg
    beer2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 0
Well, how did it go? OG 1045, happily bubbled for 10 days, the smell from the airlock was promising. Checked SG by drawing some of the brew from the tap into a sample tube, 1020. Went to taste it - my god I haven't tased anything that purported to be beer quite so bad, difficult to describe, bit medicinal and stale. It cost a bag of sugar and some yeast so no big shakes. Probably the worst thing is loosing production time with the fermentor.

I'm sure there must be a level of use beyond the best before date, but 20 years is probably too far

Latest posts

Back