Year Old AG Kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenneth Harvey

Reaction score
I found this AG kit that I forgot I had, in a box under the stairs. I brought it last september and well.. Cool, dry, dark cupboard.

Would it still be safe to use? Or should I follow the rule "If in doubt, brew it anyway and have someone test it first"

Edit
Sorry.. January this year, so not quite as bad.

Should be fine. You've kept it in almost perfect conditions by the sounds of it. Have a sniff and a taste of the grain. If it smell/tastes stale then you might consider not using it. I keep my milled base grain dry, dark and in airtight zip lock bags. It keeps for months and months like this

Just on the point of throwing some 10 year old (at least) dark crystal away until I sniffed it and thought, let's give it a go. Put 15% in a brown ale and, when I racked it into secondary today, thought it tasted gorgeous. Moral of the story, if in doubt, brew it out.
I doubt very much that any AG brew that you can actually bring yourself to drink could do you any harm. Not sure about kits as they're not always fully boiled.

Just on the point of throwing some 10 year old (at least) dark crystal away until I sniffed it and thought, let's give it a go. Put 15% in a brown ale and, when I racked it into secondary today, thought it tasted gorgeous. Moral of the story, if in doubt, brew it out.
I doubt very much that any AG brew that you can actually bring yourself to drink could do you any harm. Not sure about kits as they're not always fully boiled.

Definately agree with this sentiment. I once bought some stale mild ale malt and couldnt be arsed to take it back to the shop, so just brewed with it anyway. The beer initially had a bit of a twang like a kit, but it eventually conditioned out

OK, thanks for the input. A bit late to start it now but defo a project for next weekend.

I will leave it out for people to trip over, that way if I forget it again, I am sure someone will be more than willing to remind me through the use of a frying pan applied to the back of my head.

Back