The Range (AKA Better Brew) IPA - what have I created?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert_

Reaction score
I kicked one of these off a week last Saturday. Brewed with 1kg beer enhancer, 150g additional dextrose and 350g muscovado sugar - because I totally cocked up and didn't have in the house what I intended to use. SG 1051.

After ten days in the FV I just took a gravity reading - 1012, so 5.1% so far. It is murky as ditch-water, but still I decided to have a small sample. The nose of the brew is a nauseating, olfactory onslaught, best-described as rotting, mouldy tree bark. The putridness does not stop there though; it does, in fact, escalate and indeed intensify upon taste; again, probably best-described using the moulding bark analogy. This time, however, you come to realise that much of the local wildlife chose this particular part of the tree as a disposal site when challenged with a need to defecate non-solids.

Basically, almost identical to how my Wherry tasted at 10 days in - which then miraculously became fruity and delicious. I really doubt that I've hit upon the elixir of home-brew with this formula though. I can only assume that the addition of muscovado sugar to an IPA was the heinous act. It was only added due to the pictures of this brew in the review section - which made the finished product appear exceedinly dark already for an IPA - so I thought why not go the whole hog? I fear that the answer to this question will be repeating on me for the duration of the afternoon.

Two days later and I was just ruminating over the tantalising proposition of chucking this down the toilet and kicking off my "Ditch's Stout" - I thought I'd take another gravity reading and see what was happening with the smell. The gravity has dropped a further 4 points and the nasal-offence-factor diminished by a solid 50%. Having never brewed with muscovado before (and probably ever again) is this normal - aka very very slow to ferment and an awful stench throughout fermentation? The only saving grace for this kit will be a further mellowing of the nose and the inclusion of the kit-supplied-hops masking some of this aroma.

Latest posts

Back