The SMPH IBU calculator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phildo79

Reaction score
Hi

Anyone know of an online recipe builder website that uses the SMPH calculator? I have been using Brewer's Friend for over a decade and as good as it is, I still have to work out the IBU's elsewhere.

Thanks
Phil

Yes, been using the alchemy overlord website for a while now. The difference in amount of hops needed vs tinseth is sometimes insane.

Yes, been using the alchemy overlord website for a while now. The difference in amount of hops needed vs tinseth is sometimes insane.
If you work out the IBU using the SMPH click on the Tinseth scale on the left and you will find not a lot of difference. What is way out is the Brewers Friend scale of Tinseth, I haven't checked any other programs.

Yeah I have been using it for a while, I basically have settled on adding 35% to the tinseth model in beersmith. Now the two models give me similar ibus when I brew.

If you work out the IBU using the SMPH click on the Tinseth scale on the left and you will find not a lot of difference. What is way out is the Brewers Friend scale of Tinseth, I haven't checked any other programs.
Yes, I see what you mean. Is there a recipe builder with a more accurate calculator for Tinseth? I've used Brewfather before but only once.

Yes, I see what you mean. Is there a recipe builder with a more accurate calculator for Tinseth? I've used Brewfather before but only once.
I haven't checked any others, they will be all pretty similar I would imagine apart from the one on Alchemy Overlord which is the most accurate but still have to work it manually. Once you have done it a few times it is quick to do, your own data stays on the program just dial in the charges and AA's for each charge.

Back