Thiolized yeast curious...but will I be thrown in jail??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So as the title really, I'm keen to give this new thing about thiolrized yeasts a go, but the latest theorised yeasts are banned for sale in the UK as they are genetically modified. However, I'm visiting the USofA later this year and looking to bringing a couple or so packs back with me. I've googled about this, but can only find the usual foods on the banned list of foods you can't bring into the country but nothing on brewers yeast. I suspect I'll slip through security with no issues, but if I were stopped and they found a few packets of yeast in my suitcase would they know what they are looking at? if so would they be confiscated?

There are logistical challenges to this in that they're only available (as far as I know) in liquid form so ideally need to be kept cold, so not sure how I can achieve that in a suitcase on a flight over the Atlantic and the travels to and from the airport at either end. And not sure that if the discarded yeast trub going down the UK drains will spawn a new breed of genetically modified blood thirsty sewer rats that will emerge from the sewers in search of human blood....who knows?

Anyone done this yet? I'd be surprised if anyone hasn't.

Packaged yeast is allowed from any country. Customs are not going to know if its GMO or not.

Packaged yeast is allowed from any country. Customs are not going to know if its GMO or not.
That's what I was thinking.....More concerned about the blood thirsty mutant rats though :laugh8:

I'm aware of the UK ones that are available and definitely want to give them a go too, but assume the ones from the USofA are 'proper'!!

Incidentally I was in Manchester over the weekend and had a Track beer that was Thiolized. It certainly had an unusual hop character to it, something I've not tasted before. Certainly interesting and seems to deliver something a bit different if that sample of one is anything to go by.

So as the title really, I'm keen to give this new thing about thiolrized yeasts a go, but the latest theorised yeasts are banned for sale in the UK as they are genetically modified. However, I'm visiting the USofA later this year and looking to bringing a couple or so packs back with me. I've googled about this, but can only find the usual foods on the banned list of foods you can't bring into the country but nothing on brewers yeast. I suspect I'll slip through security with no issues, but if I were stopped and they found a few packets of yeast in my suitcase would they know what they are looking at? if so would they be confiscated?

It's not really a matter for Customs, but it is a breach of the Genetically Modified Organisms (Contained Use) Regulations 2014 to possess genetically-modified microorganisms in the UK when they're not in a registered premises, let alone release them (aka tip them down the sink).

It's all a bit up in the air at the moment, as the Genetic Technology (Precision Breeding) Act 2023 was passed in March but at present it only applies in England, and it only allows gene editing in plants and vertebrates - and you still have to notify the authorities of releases to the environment. I've heard people suggest that it applies to microorganisms as well but I can't see anything in the Act to say that.

And to be honest, it's early days with the US ones at the moment, they haven't quite got them right yet, they tend to be very one-dimensional. But you should be able to find commercial examples over there so you can judge for yourself - but in theory even canned beer that has been filtered of all yeast is still the product of a modification process and hence is illegal in the UK under the 2014 regulations.

Last edited:
Oh dear, that sounds a bit more official and serious! I assumed it did apply because the products are banned for sale in the UK, but wasn't sure if that ban extended to bringing things in from other countries i.e. not purchased in this country.

So as the title really, I'm keen to give this new thing about thiolrized yeasts a go
I keep seeing references to "thiolised / thiolized" yeasts and it turns out they're nothing of the sort. They're thiolising yeasts in that they release thiols from the thiol precursors in hops.
It's not really a matter for Customs, but it is a breach of the Genetically Modified Organisms (Contained Use) Regulations 2014 to possess genetically-modified microorganisms in the UK when they're not in a registered premises, let alone release them (aka tip them down the sink).
Without contadicting what @Northern_Brewer says, above, which I'm sure is spot on, this is the UK, we're talking about. A country that tips its sewage into our rivers and our seas, which shuns European food standards in the hope of doing a deal with countries with much lower standards, etc, etc and we're actually thinking of taking notice of legislation relating to GM organisms? We should, but as soon as a backhander is offered to the right department, you can be sure that such regulations will go out of the window. I shouldn't lose any sleep over it if I were you.

Law is always behind the times.

GMO ban made sense when genetic modification was done by splicing together bits of DNA as that had plenty of chances to create some kind of godforsaken chimera. Although in reality that's never happened and I can't find a single example of a harmful GMO product. Gene editing these days is much more precise, switching on/off specific genes.

The law will change eventually, although I expect they'll concentrate first on allowing boring things like higher yielding crops that can avoid people starving, rather than yeast that makes your beer extra fruity.

The law will change eventually, although I expect they'll concentrate first on allowing boring things like higher yielding crops that can avoid people starving, rather than yeast that makes your beer extra fruity.
There is an easy answer to that dilemma....feed the hungry with beer. That's is how beer ultimately came to be, as a very efficient way to get high calorific and nutritious intake for the masses. Beer fuelled pre-industrial Britain! Killing two birds with one stone.

There is an easy answer to that dilemma....feed the hungry with beer. That's is how beer ultimately came to be, as a very efficient way to get high calorific and nutritious intake for the masses. Beer fuelled pre-industrial Britain! Killing two birds with one stone.
I don't now if that's really true, but I'd love to think it is! Let's roll on back to those happy days (fantasy or otherwise). One way or another industrialisation is dead in the water anyway.

Oh dear, that sounds a bit more official and serious! I assumed it did apply because the products are banned for sale in the UK, but wasn't sure if that ban extended to bringing things in from other countries i.e. not purchased in this country.
Technically they're not banned for sale in the UK, but the having them on unapproved premises. So I guess that in theory I could buy gene-edited yeast (subject to some paperwork) and have them sent to my workplace and that would be OK, as it's a licensed location for transgenics- but I couldn't have them sent to my home, as it's not.
Without contadicting what @Northern_Brewer says, above, which I'm sure is spot on, this is the UK, we're talking about. A country that tips its sewage into our rivers and our seas, which shuns European food standards in the hope of doing a deal with countries with much lower standards, etc, etc and we're actually thinking of taking notice of legislation relating to GM organisms?
I'm sorry, this is just tired, lazy and wrong. Didn't the complaint used to be that the UK always "gold-plated" regulations and enforced them over-rigorously compared to other European countries?

Some media outlets want you to think that the entire country is going to hell as a way to excuse the terrible behaviour of a few members of the government, they want you to think that those few people are not really that bad because "they're all at it". But no, they're not "all at it". People in the Environment Agency would love to nail the water companies over sewage, but they just can't because their hands are tied by decisions made by the ministers that direct them. The problem is those few ministers in government, not the whole country.

And yes, we do take notice of legislation surrounding transgenics - I guess making my various workplaces compliant with the regs has cost my employers £100k's if not £millions over the years. In general people in bleeding-edge industries like good regulation, as it stops the cowboys ruining things for everybody. Just imagine that you ran a responsible company offering submarine tours to shipwrecks, how would you feel about the idiots doing tours to the Titanic who ignored all the safety regulations and got squished? Nobody will want to do tours of shipwrecks any more, even with a company that follows the rules.
We should, but as soon as a backhander is offered to the right department, you can be sure that such regulations will go out of the window.
If you have evidence of that, you should report it and someone could be looking at a 10-year stretch. All I can say is that having been "the man from the Ministry" in a former life, if anyone had tried to offer me a backhander I would have gone out of my way to get that person locked up. And while there's always going to be the occasional bad egg, that was the general ethos of the scientific bit of the Civil Service that I worked for. There was a strong sense that we were working for the greater good of the UK, and that is not served by encouraging people to bend the rules (for the same reason as the Titanic example). So speaking as someone who's actually done that kind of job - you're far more likely to get banged up than see "regulations go out of the window".
Law is always behind the times.
That doesn't mean it can be ignored. And at least it is made under advice from people who know a bit about this stuff.
GMO ban made sense when genetic modification was done by splicing together bits of DNA as that had plenty of chances to create some kind of godforsaken chimera. Although in reality that's never happened and I can't find a single example of a harmful GMO product. Gene editing these days is much more precise, switching on/off specific genes.
Sort of - there were two problems with early transgenic technology. One was that they (well - "we", I was one of those doing it) used gene "cassettes" that included the gene you wanted to add along with a marker gene that allowed you to tell whether it had inserted into the genome, as the hitrate of insertions was really low. But that marker gene was usually an antibiotic resistance gene or herbicide resistance gene that you didn't want "leaking" into the wider world. But sometimes it did - that wasn't a hypothetical thing, it could and did happen.

The other problem was that the cassette would insert into a random place in the genome, and if that random place happened to be an active gene then you were effectively knocking out that gene at the same time as adding your new one. There were also problems with different areas of the genome being more or less active, so your expression levels could vary a lot depending on where your cassette ended up, which is not really what you want.

And I can understand why people were wary of that and it's why I was OK with that first generation being tightly regulated, even if it wasn't great from the perspective of my personal career in the UK.

The difference with gene editing is not that you're operating at the level of individual genes - that was true of the first-gen stuff too - but it's easier to target specific locations in the genome, and you're not using markers in the same way.

The law will change eventually, although I expect they'll concentrate first on allowing boring things like higher yielding crops that can avoid people starving
See above - it's happened already, that's exactly what's allowed under the Genetic Technology (Precision Breeding) Act 2023 which was passed in March.

I'm sorry, this is just tired, lazy and wrong. Didn't the complaint used to be that the UK always "gold-plated" regulations and enforced them over-rigorously compared to other European countries?

Some media outlets want you to think that the entire country is going to hell as a way to excuse the terrible behaviour of a few members of the government, they want you to think that those few people are not really that bad because "they're all at it". But no, they're not "all at it". People in the Environment Agency would love to nail the water companies over sewage, but they just can't because their hands are tied by decisions made by the ministers that direct them. The problem is those few ministers in government, not the whole country.
You have a romantic view, shared by many. I never suggested they are all at it. You're in danger of building a straw man argument here. The fact is, we are a country who systematically discharges its raw sewage into it's rivers and seas, aren't we? Our elected government sanctions this, and, in a representative democracy, the elected government represents the people of the country. While you didn't say it, I get a feeling of "we deserve better than this". No we don't. We voted for it and continue to tolerate it with very little active objection. The sewage thing is just one example. In the light of this. Bringing a sachet of "non approved" yeast into the country is very small beer. Will it contaminate the gene pool? I don't know. Is the beer that is made using this yeast also banned for import? I doubt it.
If you have evidence of that, you should report it and someone could be looking at a 10-year stretch. All I can say is that having been "the man from the Ministry" in a former life, if anyone had tried to offer me a backhander I would have gone out of my way to get that person locked up. And while there's always going to be the occasional bad egg, that was the general ethos of the scientific bit of the Civil Service that I worked for.
I wasn't thinking of the Civil Service so I can see why that touched a nerve. I was thinking of "lobbying" of MPs and paticularly ministers by big interest groups like farming, fossil fuel producers, pharma, etc, etc. We all know it's rife. We all know it results, circuitously and opaquely, in "advantages" for those who fall into line. Sunak's backtracking on net zero policy makes our sachet of yeast even more irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
It's a shame that a fellow like yourself, with your knowledge and inside experience is still defending this thoroughly rotten edifice instead of helping to expose it for what it is in the hope of a more "honest" regime.

Last edited:
£13 on etsy. Sorted.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1089979751/omega-yeast-oyl-402-cosmic-punch-liquid
No rats have been mutated in the making of this post.
Interesting. Would be interesting to see if they could actually follow through with an order and it’s not just a shop that has their entire stock uploaded.

Anyway think I’ll risk the creation of a new species and see if I can fashion up a way of keeping the yeast cool in transit and give it a go. Need to get me one of these….

Attachments

• IMG_2035.jpeg
    IMG_2035.jpeg
    17 KB · Views: 0
Aye, what do we want all these barmy restrictions for. It's only flippin' yeast! Do we really want a regime like ... say, New Zealand?

Take a different picture: We all know about COVID? USA, 3,511 deaths per million human population (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries), Us in the UK not so far behind: 3344 deaths per million population.

New Zealand, and all their daft "biosecurity" measures: 981 deaths per million population!

Got it?

Sure, let the yeast in, it'll happen sooner or later anyway. We can all enjoy brewing US style beers then. We'll have to ... when it mutates every other yeast?

Might not happen? Might happen? Who's to say ... You? I don't want the choice of ONE type of yeast. I don't want to drink US style yucky beer (any more than eat chicken dunked in bleach). Keep the choice; support the efforts of those trying to improve the UK's biosecurity ... however hopeless the attempts seem to be. Catch those breaking the laws, lock 'em up, and throw away the keys if necessary!

Aye, what do we want all these barmy restrictions for. It's only flippin' yeast! Do we really want a regime like ... say, New Zealand?

Take a different picture: We all know about COVID? USA, 3,511 deaths per million human population (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries), Us in the UK not so far behind: 3344 deaths per million population.

New Zealand, and all their daft "biosecurity" measures: 981 deaths per million population!
That's a very reductive comparison.

Australasia as a whole had lower covid mortality, as did many East Asian nations. Meanwhile Europe as a whole got steamrolled.

Was that all down to their bio security protocols, or differences in population fitness, density, social norms, genetics?

Or did they just count covid deaths differently? e.g. North Korea - 0.23 deaths per million!

The possible reasons are too numerous to count, and will never be down to a single factor.

... and will never be down to a single factor.
And there you have it; better than my exaggerated reasoning. More argument to support even just one seemingly trivial attempt to try and establish some sort of biosecurity (beersecurity?) in the UK and possibly avoid a sinking into (beery) hell.

Latest posts

Back