Thoughts on pewter tankards

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There's a couple of things I've noticed over time about drinking beer from pewter tankards.
The effect of pouring into pewter as opposed to glass seems to have an effect of the beer. It takes away 'fizz' without affecting condition, making it smoother but still alive and also creates a creamy long lasting head.
On the downside if the beer is very well carbonated it can produce a violent head before it settles and you can't admire the colour and clarity of your creation.
I also feel that even in a warm environment, petwer keeps the beer at served temperature.
Just my random observations and wondered if any one else had a preference?

Depending on how it's made, the tankard can have the effect of knocking a lot of CO2 out of the beer. I've had some with cylindrical sides that seem to be rolled/milled - the inside of the tankard has concentric rings and a rough surface. As you pour the beer down it, this causes a lot of turbulence/nucleation and a lot of foam and a resulting flat beer or a violent head.

I haven't noticed it keeping it cool though.

I don't like using them. They give the beer a metallic taste I don't like. I have one I use occasionally though, more for the aesthetic than the taste.

At home I only ever drink out of pewter. I get a much better head than from a glass but that's mostly because I only ever rinse it out after use.
Beware of old tankards though, ones with a much darker colouring. These are lead based whereas modern pewter is lead free.
I also like the tankard being wider at the base than the top. Much harder to knock over when you've had a few...

I have a few tankards all with lids great for when cruising the canals or just drinking alfresco, keeps wasps fly's and other unwanted bits out of the beer in good weather and keeps the beer dry when it's pishing down, during heatwaves one is also in the fridge cooling.

Interesting! I have an old pewter tankard in the cupboard that I haven't used in donkey's years; I've carried it around with me, but it's probably forty years since I've used it regularly! Maybe I should get the Autosol/Brasso out, give it a good clean and wash, and give it a try! :D

This is what a metallic drinking vessel makes me think of

Screenshot_20221122-013749-609.png

Interesting! I have an old pewter tankard in the cupboard that I haven't used in donkey's years; I've carried it around with me, but it's probably forty years since I've used it regularly! Maybe I should get the Autosol/Brasso out, give it a good clean and wash, and give it a try! :D
I have several from the same mould. When someone was left work, it was always a pewter tankard as a leaving present and then down to the pub with it on his last night.

Definitely don't scrub it with brasso! You want the dull aged look, and brasso will take it back to shiny new

I have a couple, one of which I use when out and about on long train journeys etc as I don't like drinking out of plastic and I'd probably break glass in transit. I must admit I detect a metalic taste to the beer which I don't really like so stick to glass at home.

". . . everybody knows that there are many persons who would rather not drink ale or porter at all, than drink either out of a glass. Their affection for pewter pots is so great, that one cannot help thinking there is something in the peculiar metal itself as palatable to their taste, though only put to their mouths, as is the liquid which it contains. One of the late Irish M.P.'s was so devotedly attached to drinking porter out of a pewter pot, that he rather preferred running the risk, when he went into any tavern, of being voted, as he used to say, " ungenteel," than submit to the privation of not having the liquid in a pewter pot. His plan for concealing his metallic partialities from the other persons in the room, was to instruct the waiter, when he brought in the porter, to place it under the table. This done, the ex-honourable gentleman bowed down his head, and took draught after draught of Whitbread and Co.'s " Entire,'' as occasion required, replacing the pewter pot with its contents, each time, in its locality beneath the table."
"Sketches in London" by James Grant, 1838, pages 126 - 127. From Barclay Perkins blog.

If you like the taste, then keep going! I'm not sure some of the younger drinkers would care to acquire the taste though.

Interesting, I have a stainless pint glass from Glastonbury this year. Obviously has a neutral taste, but head retention is consistently poor in the vessel.

Back