time to look for another job

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceo

Landlord.
Reaction score
iv been working for a month and im thinking i need a 9-5 not a zero hour contract job. iv been working random hours between 5am-10pm 2-5 days a week. sleep has gone to sh*t .i know how hard it is to find a job in the first place im not giving this one up just yet but.

today was my last shift that i know of for the next 2 weeks but im on sickness call so cant really plan any thing even xmas day as its a 24/7 site iv got a feeling going to be a stressful few weeks if the phone rings.

on a plus side its my little girls(4 months old) first xmas

wishing all forum members a merry xmas :drink:

Sorry to hear the work front isn't great, but keep yourself focused on your little girl, what a great age and so many brilliant things lie ahead for you, I know I've got 3 girls. :D

Not sure what you do workwise, but could you re-train and plan for the future?? Maybe something that could get you self employed after a few years????

Good luck

Cornish Knocker said:
Sorry to hear the work front isn't great, but keep yourself focused on your little girl, what a great age and so many brilliant things lie ahead for you, I know I've got 3 girls. :D

Not sure what you do workwise, but could you re-train and plan for the future?? Maybe something that could get you self employed after a few years????

Good luck

thanks. i have a back ground in customer service and IT tech(10 ago) no gcse's worth using. dont have the money to spend on collage

What about a night class of some description? (Might be able to get it cheaper if on low income). You will be able to cut grass, weed flower beds, so what about enquiring about learning how to do hard landscaping. A lot of us can lay a patio, but can we lay it correctly??? You maybe able to do a general maintenance course, so not only could you offer to do gardening work but also jobs around the house, painting, patch plastering, putting up shelves etc etc. You could do this sort of work around your other zero hours work maybe? If you're good, conscientious with a eye for customer care, word will get around and soon you'll be too busy for home brewing. :doh:

Business cards are free on vistaprint and the cost of producing flyers would be reasonably cheap.

Don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but just trying to help.

Best of luck

Some night school courses are free to the unemployed, others are discounted, but this depends on which educational authority you come under.

Got to be worth a trip to the internet to find out :)

I have a very dim view of zero hours contracts, and have written my MP with my views.

iv been working for a month and im thinking i need a 9-5 not a zero hour contract job.

The sooner the this or the next government grow a set and put a stop to this the better, how can you plan for the future when you don't know how may hours work you will have in the next month, do you get support if you only get a couple of hours work in a month?

I hope it works out for you in the end , you never know that ideal job may be just round the corner , merry christmas to you too . :cheers:

Chippy_Tea said:
iv been working for a month and im thinking i need a 9-5 not a zero hour contract job.

The sooner the this or the next government grow a set and put a stop to this the better, how can you plan for the future when you don't know how may hours work you will have in the next month, do you get support if you only get a couple of hours work in a month?

If you're on a zero-hours contract, it's difficult (if not impossible) to deal with problems at work, because anything that might be perceived as rocking the boat puts you first on the firing line when they're short of work. My neighbour ended up continually ill last Winter because he couldn't afford to heat his flat - not because he didn't have the money, but because being on a zero-hours contract meant he had to save every spare penny for the days when his boss decided she didn't need him. He still went into work whenever he was told to, irrespective of how ill he was, because not going in would mean losing hours in the future.

Zero-hours contracts are a particular problem for people with things like OCD, Aspergers, and anxiety disorders, who often need predictable, reliable work routines, and need to be able to rely on their supervisors/line managers if there's a problem - something which zero-hours contracts strongly discourage. I know of at least one case where someone with Aspergers and an anxiety disorder was forced onto a zero-hours contract, and ended up having a mental breakdown and attempting suicide.

I don't know if it's the same in England, but in Scotland, you can get free Open University courses if you are on a low income. Might be worth looking into.

Good luck,

DirtyC

Tim_Crowhurst said:
[quote="Chippy_Tea":395yyy6n]

If you're on a zero-hours contract, it's difficult (if not impossible) to deal with problems at work, because anything that might be perceived as rocking the boat puts you first on the firing line when they're short of work. My neighbour ended up continually ill last Winter because he couldn't afford to heat his flat - not because he didn't have the money, but because being on a zero-hours contract meant he had to save every spare penny for the days when his boss decided she didn't need him. He still went into work whenever he was told to, irrespective of how ill he was, because not going in would mean losing hours in the future.

Zero-hours contracts are a particular problem for people with things like OCD, Aspergers, and anxiety disorders, who often need predictable, reliable work routines, and need to be able to rely on their supervisors/line managers if there's a problem - something which zero-hours contracts strongly discourage. I know of at least one case where someone with Aspergers and an anxiety disorder was forced onto a zero-hours contract, and ended up having a mental breakdown and attempting suicide.[/quote:395yyy6n]

Thanks for explanig, I am in a fairly low paid job which I hate but at least I know how much money
I have coming in each month, the sooner zero hours contracts are stopped the better.
Good luck yor job hunting.

thanks for the support guys

it is f#cking up what benefits we do get having to ring them every week to give them how many hours iv worked. its a 30 miles round trip for work so the 2 weeks wage is got at the start of the month has gone on fuel

at the mo the mrs is on mat leave so have a little breathing space until feb. but as i do struggle with work (another story) i will happily turn my hand to most things. i had been trying to get in with a farmer to work and train in there butchery but that look like thats might have fallen flat. i find it hard to learn from reading books im more practical. uncle in law is a builder/plaster and i have worked with him on the mother in laws place but after a few weeks it kills me. being dyslexic/visual stress as i was only told last year at the age of 30.
i will take a look in to classes. my IT skills are well out of date.

have worked in green grousers, assistant manager of a sandwich bar, stacked shelf’s, cleaned toilets, last 2 job have been in petrol stations (not rocket science)

Chippy_Tea said:

I believe that this type of contract is being reviewed by the Government

have a look in to apprenticeships, there is no age Limit. But expect £2.50 per hour for 40 hours per week.

If you take this route be cautious that there is a real plan set, I had a bad time with one last year where I got fired after 12 months and left with no training. But there are some very good ones about

chrig said:
have a look in to apprenticeships, there is no age Limit. But expect £2.50 per hour for 40 hours per week.

If you take this route be cautious that there is a real plan set, I had a bad time with one last year where I got fired after 12 months and left with no training. But there are some very good ones about

i cant support a family at 2.50 ph, things have gone to **** in this world. 12 years ago i was a cleaner in a factory on 10 ph working 12 hour+ day and at that age i just ****** it up the wall. will be looking at lidl or aldi as the money is better and i dont have to work in a factory.

chrig said:

I don't understand...is this a typo???

I took a job two years ago on such a wage, as my only option back in to work. That particular company screwed me over by not offering any real apprenticeship training and also trying their hardest to get rid of me after 12months.

I did make several calls to hmrc towards the end but it was all above board. you can (or could 12 months ago) you can pay an "apprentice" **** all for 12months before you need to legally pay them minimum wage.

This is all sounding very negative isn't it? But I've had some friends who have done very well out of theirs. Earning the lower wage for just 2-3 months before being bumped up to min wage, and then onwards soon after. A well structured one is worth looking in to.

chrig said:
I took a job two years ago on such a wage, as my only option back in to work. That particular company screwed me over by not offering any real apprenticeship training and also trying their hardest to get rid of me after 12months.

I did make several calls to hmrc towards the end but it was all above board. you can (or could 12 months ago) you can pay an "apprentice" f**k all for 12months before you need to legally pay them minimum wage.

This is all sounding very negative isn't it? But I've had some friends who have done very well out of theirs. Earning the lower wage for just 2-3 months before being bumped up to min wage, and then onwards soon after. A well structured one is worth looking in to.

i under stand what your saying but i cant take the risk as the main earner. i did email 30 local companys before i got this job and only had 3 replys . if i have the choose i would like to work for a small local/family firm over a nation wide one

As soon as a company employs anyone, they have to pay the "minimum" wage. It doesn't matter what you will be told that you can earn in the future, or what training they will give you in return.

Back