Tinnitus

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Its being discussed on the radio today and apparently its on the increase.
I used to work in a very noisy workshop many years ago hearing protection was provided but few wore it luckily i didn't end up suffering from tinnitus but my hearing loss is noticeable (SWMBO tells me to turn the TV down every time when comes home from work) the people on the radio are mainly DJ's and people in the music industry but listening to very loud music through headphones is also a major cause (i guess we have all done it) and standing in front of the speakers at clubs (do they still do that :laugh8:)
Do you suffer, do you know what caused it and which type do you have?

What exactly is tinnitus?

Tinnitus is the perception of sound when no actual sound is present.
The causes of tinnitus can be varied, but it can be put into two different categories: tonal and non-tonal.
Tonal tinnitus refers to the perception of overlapping sounds or near-continuous sound with a well-defined frequency, such as ringing, whistling, or buzzing. This is the most common form of tinnitus.
Non-tonal forms of tinnitus include clicking, humming, rumbling and crackling.

Though the exact cause of tinnitus is unknown, contributing triggers and factors have been identified. These include excessive exposure to loud noises due to damage to the auditory system. It could also be the result of a chronic neck muscle strain or jaw-joint dysfunction, such as teeth grinding.

The following are the four types of tinnitus and their known contributing factors:

Subjective tinnitus – This is the most common type and accounts for 95% of cases. It can only be heard by you, and it’s usually caused due to exposure to excessive noises. It can appear quickly and can last up to three months, which is known as acute, or up to 12 months, which is known as subacute. In some cases, it may last longer.

Objective tinnitus – This is very rare. It can be heard by a doctor by either listening very closely to your ear or using a stethoscope. It may occur due to vascular deformities or involuntary muscle contractions. The sound is often described as pulsating.

Neurological tinnitus – This type of tinnitus is caused by a disorder known as “Meniere’s disease.” This then affects your neurological system. It’s often accompanied by vertigo, dizziness, and issues with balance.

Somatic tinnitus – This type is worsened, caused or otherwise related to the sensory system in your own body. Sensory signals coming from various parts of the body are disrupted, causing a spasm that produces tinnitus.

https://www.signia-hearing.co.uk/blog/myths-about-tinnitus-and-causes/

I worked on ships with very noisy engine rooms. The turbines were high pitched but the diesels were probably worse. The ear defenders made your inner ears sweat and that was a horrible feeling. I have retired with minimal hearing loss and no tinnitus yet. My wife says I only have two faults - I don't listen - AND- something else.

I think most married couples have tactical deafness. In the same way that they each deny snoring.

I had tinnitus. When I was a teenager I played in a lot of bands, went to a lot of gigs etc where noise levels were well over 85db for prolonged periods of time. Really destroyed my hearing. By the time I got to uni it was a bit late and I reckon I had some ear damage along with tinnitus. I studied music and we did a lot on health & safety including the correct ear protection, which I then wore at every band practice, gig I played or attended.

After graduating I did less gigs, went to less gigs and got to the point I stopped wearing ear protection because it wasn't actually necessary, but in 2015 I went to Reading where the sound was awful and triggered some terrible tinnitus. Went to the Dr. and I lost a lot of my hearing in my right ear.

Whilst I'm still quite deaf, I moved to Ireland for 9 months where it was very quiet and my tinnitus went. Moving back to London didn't seem to trigger it.

No tinnitus for me yet, but I spent most of my teens and 20s at extremely loud heavy metal concerts and it has definitely had an impact on my hearing.

I get a little bit of tinitus, just an ever-present background hiss but it doesn't actually bother me.
I have had hearing problems in the past though - I once worked for Dan Air (remember them?) as a security guard on their maintainance airfield in Hampshire. One of my jobs included taking the post round and the route led through one of the hangars and out a side door behind the test pan. You guessed it, stepped through the door one day just as a plane let crack all four engines on full blast. Instant silence that lasted for 24 hours. Got better gradually though.

ive had tinnitus in my left ear for over a decade - just about a high C constant tone.
normally i can ignore it, but if i go to bed and dont fall straight to sleep or have something on my mind - its all i can hear and it drives me mad.

Nicks90 ..Snap. I've had it from my 20s, and I'm in my 50s (early :laugh8:) and I have the same. I used to fall asleep with the TV on all the time just so I could listen to something half decent.
Edit...I have something called surfers ear..apparently it's caused by years of being in cold sea water which causes the ear canal to shrink...on the up side I can't hear the deeerrr ..dum.....der. dum der der dum dum dum dum...as a big fecoff great white approaches..:-D

I've had it constantly for the last 3 years probably down to factory work as a young lad and testing security alarm systems on a daily basis. Never been to docs about it.

Got tonal in my right ear, but I get a high pitched note, and I get a rushing sound, both at the same time. lol

Cause, well I've had 2 very nasty ear infections, 1 in each ear, that the Dr called wet ear as liquid literally ran down my shoulders from them... The one in my right ear left me a bit deaf (I was completely deaf in the ear at the time of the infection), and with the tinnitus. Problem is, between the noise, and the bit of deafness, kinda messes up my hearing in that ear...

Latest posts

Back