To fine or not to fine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hodor

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have currently got my fourth and fifth kit brews in secondary fermentation (edme superbrew bitter and ontherocks blueberry cider), they were in primary for two weeks previously.

After leaving my previous brews in the fermenter for 10 days each I found they still had a very bitter yeasty taste, I thought I would give this bitter a little more time and try secondary fermentation to hopefully get a cleaner end product (after spending a lot of time trawling the forums this seemed like a sensible option).

I am planning on transferring this brew into a pressure barrel on saturday and as it is going to be the staple refreshment for the chr**tmas period I was wondering if adding a packet of wilkos isinglass finings would help to improve the beer or would I just be adding stuff for the sake of adding stuff? - it would be my first time using finings so I have no experience to reflect on.

Thanks in advance, :cheers:

Mark (Hodor)

I forgot to add, there is also a challenger hop teabag in the secondary fermenter as the sample from the trial jar seemed a little plain, according o my hydrometer readings the brew is currently around 5.3% abv.

Hey Mark,

Im sure it wont hurt? I usually use Auxiliary finings for a day or two before adding isinglass? could also try gelatin?

As its for Christmas Id just put it somewhere cold, I have mine outside as temps are around 1c which really helps drop it clear!

Personally i would transfer to secondary and place it on a cold concrete floor, this does wonders in clearing beer. If it hasn't cleared then use a fining. Personally i find gelatine works well in combination with a cold floor.

But what ever you do make sure it is clear before kegging even if it means leaving another week. Clean bright beer in will give you clean bright beer out. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back