To old to move on

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jolly Brewer

Reaction score
At 55 I'm currently seeking new employment.This is proving to be tricky.A while back it seemed the in thing to employ workers of a certain age,more reliable and trustworthy etc..
I appreciate that employers expect more from applicants than was required back in my youth,certificates for this that and anything in-between.
After applying for many jobs I'm now beginning to feel aged out.Still have at least 12 good years left in me.Anyone else feeling this?

What sort of jobs are you applying for where your age would stop an employer employing you.

I guess it depends what you do. I've noticed that there are few manual jobs for over 50s, whereas in office work, over 50s are sometimes seen as more dependable.

I changed jobs a couple of years back aged 50. It felt very liberating having been in the same part of the business for over 25 years. I'm currently applying for a promotion.
I went to a side company of the one I was working for, but although that meant I kept my Ts and Cs (which are better than anyone joining), the culture is completely different. Good in some ways, worse in others.

Blue collar manual.Im a forklift truck operator. Although i've had a varied career.Self employed gardener for a few year.Jobs that im capable of doing but need a nvq etc these days.

Blue collar manual.Im a forklift truck operator.

Could i ask why you left the other job you would rather not answer could it be the reason you are struggling to get another?

I dont see the advantage of having a younger person driving a forklift so dont see why a company would be ageist.

If the manual work involves a lot of physical work i can see why an employer would choose a younger person even though its illegal.

You could put yourself through Driver CPC or maybe you can get it through jobseekers etc this allows you to drive anything over 3.5 ton up to 7.5T ton and is a huge advantage when applying for jobs as you are ready to go from day one.

Ignore the part about initial CPC us olds are classed as having grandfather rights so we only do the second part.

Last edited:
Finance and accounting is notorious for age discrimination, 50 is mega old unless youmade it to top management or partner - I won't even try. Getting my state pension in August, guess my age.... but I retired early in 2019 and didn't regret it wink...

Finance and accounting is notorious for age discrimination, 50 is mega old unless youmade it to top management or partner - I won't even try. Getting my state pension in August, guess my age.... but I retired early in 2019 and didn't regret it wink...
54?

Relocation, to get a bungalow in area we wanted before young ones buy them all and drive prices up.

Could i ask why you left the other job you would rather not answer could it be the reason you are struggling to get another?

I dont see the advantage of having a younger person driving a forklift so dont see why a company would be ageist.

If the manual work involves a lot of physical work i can see why an employer would choose a younger person even though its illegal.

You could put yourself through Driver CPC or maybe you can get it through jobseekers etc this allows you to drive anything over 3.5 ton up to 7.5T ton and is a huge advantage when applying for jobs as you are ready to go from day one.

Ignore the part about initial CPC us olds are classed as having grandfather rights so we only do the second part.

I drove class 2 in my 20's but didn't renew medical at 45,roads were getting to busy and my confidence to drive all day in begger vehicle had gone.

I drove class 2 in my 20's but didn't renew medical at 45,roads were getting to busy and my confidence to drive all day in begger vehicle had gone.

No medical for up to 7.5t and i imagine they are a fair bit smaller than what you were driving back then, most have auto gearboxes now they also have all the mod cons, air con, emergency braking etc.

No medical for up to 7.5t and i imagine they are a fair bit smaller than what you were driving back then, most have auto gearboxes now they also have all the mod cons, air con, emergency braking etc.
Your selling it well chippy.Im near Blackpool , and I've never called prize bingo before. Maybe a new calling if 7.5t doesn't materialise.

I was tapped up to return to an IT job having retired early. I'm nearly 60. It depends what your skillset/skill shortage is. They are clearly scraping the barrel asking me I only agreed to do 3 days they really need 5.

Interesting read. At 55 I just took redundancy from a senior leadership role. Haven't started to look for a new job yet but I am also wondering what the experience of the job search will be at my age. I was with the same company for over 25 years and never looked for anything else. I am looking to do something completely different with a far better work/life balance but not sure what yet.

I was tapped up to return to an IT job having retired early. I'm nearly 60. It depends what your skillset/skill shortage is. They are clearly scraping the barrel asking me I only agreed to do 3 days they really need 5.
There's a huge skills shortage in IT.
Not as bad as it was after Covid, but definitely still there in many areas.
I know we're struggling for the things that older folk like myself do - Process Managers, Project Managers, Business Analysts and so on.

Even things like Service Managers, I keep seeing loads of roles out there. I know we had an unfilled req for over a year for a Service Delivery Manager. Again, a job that's often filled by someone with lots of experience in the industry. Of the 3 I'm working with, 2 are in their 50s, the other one gets state retirement at the end of the year.

For me, I left a management position in 24x7 shift operations and support to go into process management. I do not miss the 3am callouts or the cyber security incidents or major outages. I love not having an operational role.

I know we're struggling for the things that older folk like myself do - Process Managers, Project Managers, Business Analysts and so on.

I think the new recruits want websites, commerce and socials.
Projects, back office systems and architecture just don't appeal.

Tbh I am pleased I left it behind. And I think the shortage will only get worse.

I think the new recruits want websites, commerce and socials.
Projects, back office systems and architecture just don't appeal.

Tbh I am pleased I left it behind. And I think the shortage will only get worse.
I was more than happy to walk away. The company I left was so far removed from the one that I joined to be almost unrecognisable. Even how much enjoyment you were (supposed to be) having at work was getting measured.

Latest posts

Back