To Pasteurize Or Not

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cisk

Reaction score
I want to make cider to keg in 18 lts kegs, i was thinking of making 13 and 1/2 lts at 10 % then when it finished adding 4and 1/2 lts of apple juice to sweeten it and bring it to about 7% . I have a Brewzilla can i put the 13and 1/2 lts in it and use it to pasteurize it then add the 4and 1/2 lts to it in the keg so the yeast will be died . If this would work what temperature do i need to take it up to and how long to keep it at that temperature for.
Many thanks for any help you can give me if you think this is good or bad

70c for 20m is my understanding, or 100c instantly (flash pasteurised)

My short answer is don't.

The flavour will be changed by, and not limited to.
A) Potential maillard reactions (resulting in a jammy or burnt taste).
B) Dissolved Co2 will be 0

Both of which can be allowed for, but not with an out on the box beer machine.

What about adding potassium metabisulphate instead, this will inhibit the yeast (as used in wine). There might be a referment if you leave it somewhere too warm, too long, but that risk also applies if you had pasteurised.

On a point of detail potassium sorbate is typically only used in home winemaking very rarely by professional winemaker.
Along with campden tablets (sodium metabisulphate) it is often attributed with creating home made wine twang.
And to complete the circle, sodium metabisulphate is only used by professional winemakers for cleaning (cellars & vessels) never as an additive.

Sorry but passionate about my winemaking (from grape) Absolutely no offence meant.

Hi many thanks for your replys now i dont know which way to go i did not want to put anything in to kill the yeast thats why i was going to try to pasteurize it
thank again

Back