Tomahawk AIPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A T

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm gonna brew this on Monday as it will be my last chance to brew for some time, my mind is between Munich or Melanoidin malt so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :thumb:
I have 200g of Columbus hops and i'm determined to use them all so after the hop additions there's 56g left which will be added to the wort for 30 mins @ 70c during cooling. I'm planning on fermenting with us-05

Tomahawk APA 50L

13 kg Maris Otter
1 kg Crystal
1 kg Melanoidin

All pellet hops
8g Columbus 14% 90 mins
8g Columbus 14% 85 mins
8g Columbus 14% 80 mins
8g Columbus 14% 75 mins
8g Columbus 14% 70 mins
8g Columbus 14% 65 mins
8g Columbus 14% 60 mins
8g Columbus 14% 55 mins
8g Columbus 14% 50 mins
8g Columbus 14% 45 mins
8g Columbus 14% 40 mins
8g Columbus 14% 35 mins
8g Columbus 14% 30 mins
8g Columbus 14% 25 mins
8g Columbus 14% 20 mins
8g Columbus 14% 15 mins
8g Columbus 14% 10 mins
8g Columbus 14% 5 mins

I don't think I see the point of the multistaggered hop additions?
It's just to keep you busy on brew day isn't it!
:D

Looks great AT - loads of american brew sites have crazyhop additions, will be interesting to see how it turns out!! Hope you`ve got a good system :twisted:

didn't those crazy dogfish peoples develop some little machine to add the hops at regular intervals?

Good luck AT, you'll have to relate if all that work really does make a difference :cheers:

Yeah Tony I think you are right. I remember reading something about them building a device that would add a hop charge to the boil every so often. I thought that's what interns were for? :-)

Do you guys get access to and of the DFH beers across the pond?

I've never seen any here and would really love to try some. Hopefully some will make it across the pond soon. We now have Sierra Nevada on tap here so it can't be that difficult!

DFH 90 minute IPA is one of my favorites. I didn't care for the 120 at all. Tasted like burnt plastic to me! Hope you find some!

My bright idea to filter the pellet hops was to wrap muslin cloth around my existing hop strainer but the pelets stuck to it like sh** to a blanket :evil: an it got blocked. This made it almost impossible to recirculate through the plate chiller, i got it down to about 35c and ended up having to pick up the kettle and pour it into the fv but thankfully most of the hop crud was stuck to the muslin. I hope this beer is worth all the effort, time to design me a filter suitable for pellets i think :roll:

It's the things in life you work the hardest for that are the best AT so this should be a belter :thumb:

No hang on that would mean my BOSS was good :shock: scrap that thought :lol:

Back